rsview32 running project on the laptop

stu

Hi Good people
i have made some adjustments to a project and i would like to run it on the laptop before i put it on the machine.
i am using ethernet as the connection i can see the plc in links but i can not retieve the data on the hmi?

is there anything to look out for?
thanks stu

yes i have, i took a copy of the project from the hmi and adjusted the screens ect but i cant see why it will not run online on the laptop?

I think classic should work, not sure about Lite. But once again, forget the RSView project, did you create the communications topics in RSLINX on your laptop?

Backup your linx on your HMI machine and try restoring that config on your laptop. That might help.

I think classic should work, not sure about Lite. But once again, forget the RSView project, did you create the communications topics in RSLINX on your laptop?
i am not to sure how to set one up, could you give me step by step instrutions please

thanks stu

It is possible that a backup (from the running HMI machine) and restore (to your laptop) might work as iggy mentioned. Try that first. From the 'Start' menu, go to RSLinx, use the "RSLinx Classic Backup Restore Utility" to create a backup of the running configuration, and then use the same utility to restore it to your laptop. I tend to avoid doing this mostly so I don't bring in more than I need.

To create a topic, open up RSLinx itself, go to the menu "DDE/OPC", select "Topic Configuration", select the "New" button, give it a name (the same Access Name as the HMI project is looking for), then browse to the target processor, and hit apply. Once created, you can adjust the minimum polling rate for polled messages under the "Data Collection" tab.