SLC I/Os and PLC-5

natcheappan

Hi

i have a situation where i need a PLC-5 Processor and SLC I/Os.
can you pls provide me the details of hardware and software required to fulfil this need.

Hi

i have a situation where i need a PLC-5 Processor and SLC I/Os.
can you pls provide me the details of hardware and software required to fulfil this need.

You are going to have to give us some more details. Do you want to Scan SLC I/O with a PLC5? Give us the exact model numbers of the PLC5, Racks currently setup on the PLC5, SLC Rack and I/O.

Stu....

You will need RSLogix5 to program your PLC5/??.
You will need a 1747-ASB module ( Remote I/O Adapter) for your SLC I/O rack.

See picture below for a sample configuration to get you started.

And as a side note, you need to take special care in setting up the dip switches on your 1747-ASB module.

slcRemoteIO.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Thompson,

hereby i provide the details for you.
i will use the Processor PLC-5/80E, 1771-A1B chassis.
the SLC I/Os are 1746-IB32, 1746-OB32, 1746-OW16, 1746-A10 Chassis.
suggest me what module should i use in the PLC-5 rack and SLC Rack to enable the communication.
any additional software like RSNetworx is necessary to be configured

Hi Thompson,

hereby i provide the details for you.
i will use the Processor PLC-5/80E, 1771-A1B chassis.
the SLC I/Os are 1746-IB32, 1746-OB32, 1746-OW16, 1746-A10 Chassis.
suggest me what module should i use in the PLC-5 rack and SLC Rack to enable the communication.
any additional software like RSNetworx is necessary to be configured

One possibility as suggested by Mickey in his post above would be to set up Port 1B as a Remote I/O Scanner (RIO), and install a 1747-ASB Remote I/O Adapter in the SLC Rack where the Processor would normally go. The two Racks would be connected by Blue Hose Twinax. That is probably what I would do in this situation.

Stu.....

You will need RSLogix5 to program your PLC5/??.
You will need a 1747-ASB module ( Remote I/O Adapter) for your SLC I/O rack.

See picture below for a sample configuration to get you started.

And as a side note, you need to take special care in setting up the dip switches on your 1747-ASB module.

Hi,

thanks for your snaps.
i want to know which version of RSLogix 5 software you are using.
SLC rack is not available in th software for me.
am using the RSLogix5 3.21.
the snaps are attached here for your reference.
kindly tell me which option can i choose from the available menu.

RSLogix5_Snapshot.jpg RSLogix5_Version.jpg

I have version 7.30. The current version is 7.40.

You should upgrade, your ver is ancient.

Hopefully someone can check in and help if you can't upgrade for some reason.

you really shouldn't need to add the SLC chassis to your "IO Configuration" table at all to make it work ...

it should be added to your "Channel Configuration" table instead ... if you'll kindly tell us exactly which modules and exactly how EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM will be positioned in your SLC chassis, then we can probably tell you more about how the system should be configured ...

it would also be very helpful if you could post your existing program for the PLC-5 ... (you'll have to ZIP it first) ... if you'll do that, we can help you with exactly which values to use for your rack/group/size settings ... (tip: there must be no "overlap" of the SLC address assignments with any existing memory usage) ...

also - just a tip ... the addresses (the LEDs) for the SLC modules are marked as DECIMAL numbers ... but the addresses will show up as OCTAL numbers in the PLC-5 ... this can be EXTREMELY confusing to anyone trying to troubleshoot the system in the future ... Allen-Bradley has replacement parts which will make the module LEDs show up as OCTAL numbers ... let us know if you're interested and we'll point you to some part numbers for those ...

good luck with your project ...

Channel_Config.JPG

you really shouldn't need to add the SLC chassis to your "IO Configuration" table at all to make it work ...

it should be added to your "Channel Configuration" table instead ... if you'll kindly tell us exactly which modules and exactly how EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM will be positioned in your SLC chassis, then we can probably tell you more about how the system should be configured ...

it would also be very helpful if you could post your existing program for the PLC-5 ... (you'll have to ZIP it first) ... if you'll do that, we can help you with exactly which values to use for your rack/group/size settings ... (tip: there must be no "overlap" of the SLC address assignments with any existing memory usage) ...

also - just a tip ... the addresses (the LEDs) for the SLC modules are marked as DECIMAL numbers ... but the addresses will show up as OCTAL numbers in the PLC-5 ... this can be EXTREMELY confusing to anyone trying to troubleshoot the system in the future ... Allen-Bradley has replacement parts which will make the module LEDs show up as OCTAL numbers ... let us know if you're interested and we'll point you to some part numbers for those ...

good luck with your project ...

Hi Ron Beaufort,

i am sending you my desired configuration in JPG format.
can u say me how can i configure the same in PLC-5 hardwareconfiguration.

config.jpg