OT: Motors & Other components in Tropical Environment

ndzied1

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm working on a system that will be installed in an equatorial, tropical environment. I have been told that it will be under a roof but not in an enclosed building. Does anyone have experience in this type of installation?

I have electric AC motors, hydraulic valves and a pump and an accumulator.

Thanks in advance.

in my experience, the paint of whatever equipment or components must be very good to resist weathering and of course nuts and bolts must also be suitable, otherwise you'll have headaches. Goodluck

Motors, chokes, transformers etc. can be purchased "tropicalised" which I think means that the varnish is impregnated with insecticide or something.

Nick

I've done a bunch of outdoor (no roof) stuff for Indonesia and Malaysia. No different than outdoor stuff here. It's just a little hotter and wetter there.

Order NEMA 4 / 4X (if needed) items and install per guidelines and you'll be fine. You might need to put conduit drains in as you can't make things 100% water proof so you have to let the condensate out.

I've done a bunch of outdoor (no roof) stuff for Indonesia and Malaysia. No different than outdoor stuff here. It's just a little hotter and wetter there.

Order NEMA 4 / 4X (if needed) items and install per guidelines and you'll be fine. You might need to put conduit drains in as you can't make things 100% water proof so you have to let the condensate out.
That makes me feel better. This is for Indonesia.

I worked in the tropics for a couple of years, our medium voltage motors all had heaters that came on when stopped. That's about the only difference I noticed.