remote access

tdwsn

i have a site that i would like to set up remote access for AB plc's and PV+ Hmi's. i have a site computer there with a AB factory talk SE client on it. all devices are on ethernet into the computer on a ip 192.168.0. xxx, subnet 255.255.255.0. i have a ADSL ethernet modem connected into a 2nd ethernet port on the computer. this has a different ip, subnet, gateway and DNS given to me by the ISP. i also have team viewer installed on the computer which gives me a VPN which has a different ip. i also have rs linx lite installed. any help on how to get access to the plc and hmi's. thanks

With the VPN set up, you're 80% of the way there.

VPN networks often block two network operations that parts of RSLinx Classic and RSLinx Enterprise rely on; broadcast packets, and closed-port detection.

In RSLinx Classic Lite, you should use the "Ethernet Devices" driver. Enter the IP address of each controller into the Host list, and append ":EIP" to the end of each IP address.

The :EIP suffix (works with RSLinx Classic 2.51 and higher) tells RSLinx Classic not to attempt a connection using the old Allen-Bradley CSPv4 protocol but to skip directly to the EtherNet/IP protocol used by ControlLogix and MicroLogix controllers (and by SLC/PLC in the past ten years).

For the PanelView Plus terminals, you need to configure RSLinx Enterprise inside FactoryTalk View Studio. The RSLinx Enterprise browse can be blocked by the same VPN functions that block the RSLinx Classic EtherNet/IP driver browser. You can right-click under the Ethernet driver and manually insert a device (the PV+ terminals) into the network schema.

Once those two things are done, the VPN should work well with RSLinx Classic and RSLinx Enterprise.

If it doesn't first try PING and then use a web browser to try to connect to the controllers built-in diagnostic web pages. Proving ICMP (Ping) and HTTP connectivity is a good first step before diagnosing RSLinx.

i have added :EIP to the IP's of the plc's in the ethernet devices driver on my site computer, but i still dont have any connections from my office computer. when i connect the team viewer vpn, it has a ping check and it comes back sucsessful. the ip's the VPN gives my are assigned by team viewer and totally different from my networks. i have rs linx classic on my computer and am browsine the ETH driver to try to connect.

You're going to have to explain some more detail about your network.

I was assuming that you have the FactoryTalk View Studio and RSLogix programs on your "office" computer, rather than on the "Site" computer that hosts a FTView SE Client.

The configuration of RSLinx drivers will be done on your local "Office" computer.

What most VPNs do is give you an IP address that is part of the internal network. I would expect the VPN to be configured to give your "Office" computer an IP address for the VPN network that is part of the automation network on the remote site; in your case, 192.168.0.xxx.

Where VPNs can be trickier is if the network in your office and at the site happen to both be 192.168.0.xxx. I think you'll have to change the IP address you are using at the office to make that work.

I am unfortunately not familiar with TeamViewer VPN software.