Slc 500

Steve Dorro

Hi everybody, I am fairly new to programming and need to install an additional analogue card into a spare slot within an SLC 5/04 structure. My question is what is the correct procedure to prevent the PLC from faulting out on run. Do I power down, install the card into the slot then put the plc into stop via the keyswitch then power up. Go online add the card within the I/O config and then download to the PLC and then switch back to run.

Make sure you have the latest program for the PLC or upload it

Power down

Fit New Card

Put PLC into PRG (I think it has a prg position, i know it has REM and RUN, cant remember the 3rd one though) - Its about a 10/11 oclock position

Power up

Make changes to IO config editor in program - depending on IO card you may also need to configure it in ladder - some have an auto configure in the IO editor - Whats the IO Card ?

Download changes to PLC (if PLC has an EEprom you will need to burn/program this also, its its been written once then youll need a new one)

Turn PLC to Run and go online

(**GET OUT CLAUSE** Done from memory as at home and havent got Logix 500 here and havent done a 500 for a while now)

(if PLC has an EEprom you will need to burn/program this also, its its been written once then youll need a new one)

I agree with everything you said, except that statement. If the EEPROM has been written to, you can still overwrite it. No need for a new one. UNLESS, someone choose the option to not be reusable when they burned to it the first time. Been doing this stuff a while now, and I haven't ran into an EEPROM that was done that way before. (I may just be lucky)

I agree with everything you said, except that statement. If the EEPROM has been written to, you can still overwrite it. No need for a new one. UNLESS, someone choose the option to not be reusable when they burned to it the first time. Been doing this stuff a while now, and I haven't ran into an EEPROM that was done that way before. (I may just be lucky)

I should have explained it a little more

That's what i meant by written once - burned so you cannot alter it

I have 3 of them on my desk that had this done to them

Thanks a lot for the info. I haven't purchased a card yet it will be an analogue input 0-10v, hopefully to be able to read a hydraulic ram position via a transducer. There is an EEPROM fitted that does allow over writing. The other key position is marked Run/Prog which allows you to toggle between run/prog via the softkey.