updating Redlion G306 with crimson 3.0 2.52

bguinn

I have a g306 that a installed a couple months ago. I am wanting to make some changes to it now but can't. The panel is running rev 2.41, my pc is running 2.52. I try to use the usb link to update and all I get is an error. I do not have a CF card.

I could reinstall 2.41, but I have other screens running 2.52. I would rather not have to keep uninstalling and reinstalling plus trying to keep up with what screens are on what revision. Am I not suppose to update the firmware. If it has to be done thru a CF card, I will get a CF card this afternoon. I just assumed since I had to do the first flash with usb, it would still be a good method.

I don't think the CF is required for a firmware update or for a USB transfer. It is my understanding that if you update the firmware via Ethernet, that a CF card is required. Does the error complain about a missing CF Card? If so, I would definitely go that route as you have planned. The CF card is going to be too handy to be without at some point anyway.

If that doesn't help, perhaps there is a bug with the newest release?

Have you contacted Red Lion?

There may be a bug. No I haven't contacted RL yet. This just came up this morning. One of my other screens gave me a hard time when trying to update it when I took it out ouf the box.

It only complains about a missing CF card if I try to update across ethernet.

Using usb it says "ERROR- unexpected reply code 1.17.2 was received."

I guess I will try RL on Monday by then I won't be able to test though, plant will be back to running.

Well that screwed the pooch. I downloaded 2.41 and tried to download the program with that and now nothing works.

There is no communications, panel is still lit and beeps and all that. Reverting from the newer firmware program back to the older firmware must have messed up some databases.

Luckily, I did have a new one, I loaded program saved in 252 on it and it works fine now.

I guess now I just have to figure out how to get the other to go back to the default the other screen. Maybe then it will take the newer programs.

Ok got a chance to play a little more today, and here is what I came up with. I had Crimson 3.0 2.41 installed on another PC. I downloaded a program to it and it works fine. I then tried to download the 2.52 program and still got the same error. I tried to download a program in 2.41 to the screen from the same laptop running 2.52. The graphics all appear but the drivers don't seem to work. I then re-downloaded from the PC only running 2.41 and everything is good again.

What I take from all this is 2.52 will not update 2.41 firmware, and you cannot run 2 different firmwares on one PC. These are just my conclusions. Someone may have made it work, if so I would like to hear how.