can't communicate with panelview 300

hey

i am having trouble communicating with a panelview 300 (2711-M3A18L).

it is connected to a micrologix 1200 plc using rs232 df1

for some reason i can't get it to autoconfigure or show up at all in rslinx

i have no problems communicating with the PLC, and the comms between PLC and HMI is fine

there is nothing wrong with my cable.. im using an rs232 express card addon for my laptop but i haven't had any issues with it before

i don't think i've ever connected to a pv300 using df1 before, but i was working with one the other day using dh485 via 1747-uic without any problems

any ideas?

Which cable are you using to connect to the HMI from your PC? The manual shows three acceptable cables.

the cable i am using is a 1761-cbl-pm02

the plc autoconfigures fine and i can go online with that

the PLC and HMI are already setup for comms and have no problems.. they are connected using an 8pin > 8 pin mini-din cable

when i connect the HMI to my PC nothing shows up on the rslinx browser, and when i click on autoconfigure it will time out

Can you post the program for your ML1200 and the PV's program (zip them first)

Have you tried to set RSLinx manually, matching your ML1200's port configuration?

here is the PLC program

this is an existing machine so i haven't been able to go online to get the HMI program yet

i haven't manually tried to set rslinx yet.. i just did an autoconfigure for the PLC and figured that the settings it finds would be the same as the PLC and HMI are using as they are already communicating

from what i can remember the autoconfigure settings look the same as the channel config settings in the PLC

not sure when i am going back out on site to double check

When you connect the PV300 to your PC serial port, what cable are you using? It should be one of these:

1761-CBL-PM02
2711-CBL-PM05
2711-CBL-PM10

Oops, I somehow didn't see you'd already answered that question...

It's strange that it works with the PLC but not with your PC, making me suspicious of your RS232 adapter.

Your comms settings should be:
baud = 19.2k
Device = SLC/Micro/Panelview
Parity = None
Error Check = CRC
Stop Bits = 1
Protocol = Full Duplex

Sometimes Autoconfigure doesn't work with USB->232 devices, not sure about your express card.

I would suggest that you set up the DF1 driver manually, be sure to press OK when done, then try the transfer utility within PanelBuilder32 (via RSLinx) to see if it can identify the operator station.