can't communicate with panelview 550

realolman

I have a PV 550 with which I can't connect... It won't show up on the Who active. I am using a 1747-UIC and I can talk to similar PV's this is a 2711-B5A2 series E rev 2.01 It has an RJ 45 and some other connector I don't recognize ( looks sort of like an HDMI ) and the sticker above them both seems to be for both of them and says DH485

There are only two drivers on the RSLinx that seem to be possible and I can't get either one to work

the panelview communicates with the PLC a SCL 500 but the screen is so dark you can barely read it. That's the reason I started messing with this thing

I am beginning to think I need an old PIC with the ribbon cable to talk to this thing.... say it ain't so ...I just threw that thing away a couple months ago.

How similar are the other PanelViews you can communicate with using the 1747-UIC ? If it works on one, it should work on them all.

The 1747-UIC had an unfortunate history where you sometimes had to use a DF1 driver with specific Device Type (KE/KF3) and serial framing settings, because RSLinx Classic didn't have a 1747-UIC driver.

If your driver list has a driver for the 1747-UIC, use it.

In general that wide "AMP" connector is used to connect to an SLC-5/0x controller's DH485 network port from the PanelView, while a 1747-PIC or 1747-UIC is connected to the RJ-45 style network port.

it's the weirdest thing... the panelview is so dark it is barely readable.

I have one other one that we got from the company who made the machine... pre programmed.

we have about 8 of these machines all together. I can upload the programs from at least two other ones, but I can't connect at all to the one in question. there were times I saw the OK light , the usb light and the 485 light all going on the UIC, but nothing shows on the who active.

The faulty panel view communicates fine with the plc, because it works and controls the machine. If I connect one of the other panelviews to the plc, it acts as if there is nothing connected to the panelview "no active nodes found"

I can access a configuration menu, and all that it shows is DH485 settings ... the node, the max node and a baud rate.

I thought I could change the name of the processor in the machine to the name in the comms settings in one of the other panelviews, but that is the same thing ...no active node found

If I could upload the panelview program into Panelbuilder 32 maybe I could figure something out, but I can't connect at all the manual talks about the old PIC and a programming terminal ... good grief, how long ago was that?

it's the weirdest thing

Last edited:
it's the weirdest thing... the panelview is so dark it is barely readable.

AFAIK, the 550 all have replaceable backlights you can access from the back and replace it.

As for uploading and downloading, unless it is a PV300 micro, use a memory card. Memory card transfers are the "only way to roll" with the PV standard. I know it means you must be right in front of each unit, even if they are network accessible, but the pitfalls with the memory card are very few, unlike trying to upload/download via the wide array of comm ports they came with.

. . .
The faulty panel view communicates fine with the plc, because it works and controls the machine. If I connect one of the other panelviews to the plc, it acts as if there is nothing connected to the panelview "no active nodes found"

I can access a configuration menu, and all that it shows is DH485 settings ... the node, the max node and a baud rate.

I thought I could change the name of the processor in the machine to the name in the comms settings in one of the other panelviews, but that is the same thing ...no active node found

The name doesn't matter, it is the baud and node number that count. I don't think you can change the node number assigned to the devices to which the PV550 tags are attached unless you gain access to the .pba/.pva file. If the machines are all on the same DH485 network, then each PV550 and each PLC will have a unique node number so swapping them is a no-go unless you can get that file, or modify another one to match, and transfer it to the other unit.

If you get a memory card that works with a PV standard, keep it in a safe secure place and you will never mess with RSLinx drivers again, unless you are dealing with ethernet devices and can "hit" them from the office recliner.

AFAIK, the 550 all have replaceable backlights you can access from the back and replace it. .

yeah, I have the burned fingers to prove it they also have a contrast key that only seems to make the screen visible on 1 or 2 of about 10 settings

.....The name doesn't matter, it is the baud and node number that count. I don't think you can change the node number assigned to the devices to which the PV550 tags are attached unless you gain access to the .pba/.pva file. .
these are all separate machines none on a network... I can see the node and baud on the PV config screen ... I am not sure if that is the node it wants to talk to or the node that it is.

I can upload the PLC file ... it seems that I should be able to configure the plc to talk to one of the other PV's, but so far no luck.

I tried to change the name of the PLC on one of the other PV's but that gave me a boat load of errors.... I guess fron the "connection" of every tag in the PV

unless you are dealing with ethernet devices and can "hit" them from the office recliner

Office recliner ... hahahaha quit it ... your're killin me ... hahahaha office recliner