SLC505 Edits problem

Joker460

This is the first time I've ever come across this issue.
We have 2 identical machines.
One machine (1) is connected to the plant network and has an IP address assigned.
The other machine (2) does not have an IP address assigned and is Not connected to the plant network and is on another production line.
Both have SLC505 processors
Now we swapped the machines from one production line to the other.
Now I used bootp on machine (2) and assign the same IP address as was on machine (1).
Added the additional program items to allow machine (2) to talk to the rest of the network.
Machine (1) is disconnected from the network and installed on the other production line.

Turn on machine (2) and run the production line. Machine (2) runs and is communitcating with the PLC's on the line.

Everything looks good.

Now I want to make some changes in the program. I go online and start to edit a rung, test edits, "Failed Edits" message pops up and kicks me to offline mode.

Try again. This time I get to assemble edits, "Failed" message again and kicks me to offline.

I the made the edits offline and downloaded to the processor and went online and it ran fine.

I also disconnected the processor from the plant network and had the same issue. I can't do any online edits.

I can online edit any of the other processors in the plant.

This PLC is from 2004. Did I miss something? or is it a PLC

problem?

Are you connecting to it over Ethernet?

If I remember correctly the problem occurred when I was doing online edits with the ML1100. RSLinx was trying to open a second connection to the processor to do the edits, but the processor would only let the first connection do that (safety thing, only one connected PC can make edits).

I cant remember the exact menus (and I don't have RSLinx at home) but under the options you set RSLinx to use only one connection total, and it will work.

There was also a Knowledgebase article on it, but if I remember it required a support contract to access on their website. Someone else may be able to look it up if you don't have one.

This post should help:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=387765#post387765

It deals with the 1100, but I'd assume that the same checks would exist in the SLC500 when using ethernet.

Last edited:
I had the same issues about a moth ago and changing the setting in Linx corrected my issues..well my issue related to Linx at least.

Welcome

Thanks for the replys.

The only Issue is I can do online edits with the other 6 SLC505's over the same network, just not this one.

I can modify the ladder offline and then download it to the PLC over the network.

It seems to act like a SLC 501/502

I will look for that RSlinx menu though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys.

The only Issue is I can do online edits with the other 6 SLC505's over the same network, just not this one.

I can modify the ladder offline and then download it to the PLC over the network.

It seems to act like a SLC 501/502

I will look for that RSlinx menu though.

I have the same issue with only one of four 5/05s on our Ethernet network. Attempting an on-line edit over Ethernet with this one processor almost guarantees and error. It seems like the problem may be program-related, since it only happens on this PLC, and it happens regardless of which processor I have installed in the rack. I tried changing the rack and it didn't help, either.

A/B has some recommended changes to the RSLinx settings to help with this (search the forum, I am sure the details are in a thread within the last year or two). Also, since you now have a different PLC with a different MAC ID using the same IP Address that your PC recently saw with a different MAC ID, perhaps RSLinx or the PC address table is cornfused. I would recommend that you shut down RSLinx, blow away the harmony files on the affected PC and restart RSLinx.

We still have one 5/05 that occasionally balks at online editing, and it has been swapped twice, so in our case the problem is not with the hardware, but perhaps the application running on it, or a firmware issue.

Now I used bootp on machine (2) and assign the same IP address as was on machine (1).

Your issue may be that you have bootp enabled and you are trying to assign an IP to the processor. Bootp is the predecessor of DHCP which is the protocol that automatically assigns an IP address to a component on a network. If you have Bootp enabled and the program is trying to use an assigned IP that is different, this could be causing your problem. Try disabling the bootp.

I have the same issue with only one of four 5/05s on our Ethernet network.

It doesn't matter if the problem is with only one of the 5/05s or all of your 5/05s, you still need to make the recommended changes in RSLinx. Don't reason why it works with the other three, just do.

Goto RSLinx -> Communications -> Configure CIP Options.

Set Max Fast Messaging Connections per PLC to 1
Set Max Slow Messaging Connections per PLC to 1
Set Max unconnected messages per PLC to 2.

Then just leave the settings that way - there is no need to switch them back for the other PLCs, you won't notice any difference.

Thanks, been beating my head against the wall all morning before smartening up and doing a search here...

Thanks PLCS.net.... again....

Just stumbled across this issue on a 5/05. Been here since 5:30 waiting for a window, did a bunch of edits then got the dreaded failed to assemble message.

Even tried the old "stick a new CPU in it" trick with no luck.

Anyways... PLC downloaded, window lost, rslinx settings updated... and now I wait until 5:30 tomorrow morning to test....

The joy!!