slc 5/02 fault

oakcrest

Fault problem! Can not get rslinx to comunicate to clear the fault. It will not go online due to the fault. Any ideas

Perhaps the SLC wiped itself and changed its node number to the default.

Try changing the node number of your DH485 device to something like 3 ( or a number that you know isn't used on the network) and then see if it can find the SLC.

I am trying to fix this problem from about 600 miles away. Could you tell me where to find the node number so that i may relay that to the employees

For the channel configuration of the SLC, in RSLogix500, open the file for the 5/02 (hopefully you or they have this) look under channel configuration in the controller organizer on the left. I am at home without access to the software, but you should be able to find it that way.

Start out by finding out the exact status of the LEDs on the CPU. Compare that with the User Manual for the Modular Hardware Style:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1747-um011_-en-p.pdf

Also, have them power down, and reseat all the cards in the rack. With a SLC, if any of the cards has failed, it will cause the processor to fault (which may in turn cause it to lose communication).

Usually, a faulty card will only cause the SLC to fault, and it will happily continue to communicate.

While they have the power off, have them check the 5/02 to see if it is fitted with an EEPROM. If it is, and the program on the EEPROM is up to date, you can have them force it to load from EEPROM by disconnecting the battery and shorting VBB to GND, then reconnect the battery and put it back in the chassis, then power back up. This will wipe out any program that might be remaining in the SLC, so exercise caution. If you have a good copy of the program to be downloaded, then the risk is low.

Do they have a spare 5/02?

Last edited:
ok we could not quite figure out what was happening. But we were able to replace the slc 5/02 with a new one and now all is well. thank you for your help.