SLC150 Replacement 2011

intradave

Working a project to replace a SLC150 with a newer, more readily available processor.
Existing SLC150 is a 1745-LP151 (AC power, 20 Ac In, 10 Triac, 2 Relays). No expansion. Very simple program.
Seems the best cross is MicroLogix1000 (1761-L32AAA); has the same exact IO specs.

BUT I wonder if even the MicroLogix1000 series might be too "old"; it's been around for years.
For new projects I use Mlogix1100 units (because I LOVE to program on-line). Would need to use expansion IO with Mlogix1100 since the base doesn't offer that many IO; this would make the actual wiring (top/bottom) a little more difficult.

Also could use Mlogix1200 (1762-L40AWA) unit that has enough "top/bottom" IO. All relay outputs here (no triacs), so I'm anxious.

Just wondering what the collective thinks about the Mlogix1000 in the year 2011.

Thanks all!

Personally, I like the ML1000 for simple operations, but i am "old" just like the ML1000.
The relay versus triac is an it "depends" kind of answer. For a high volume of continuous switching, (For example, let's say more than once per minute), the triac makes more sense. Not a very scientific calculation, just my rule of thumb. I'm sure someone can provide the exact formula to calculate the relay life.

A Micrologix 1400 will give you all the features of the 1100 (enet, online programming, etc.) but it will have enough base unit IO.

A Micrologix 1400 will give you all the features of the 1100 (enet, online programming, etc.) but it will have enough base unit IO.

That's true.
Don't need the enet and online, but the 1400 IS the new kid on the block, which points to longer support life.
The 1766-L32AWA has similar IO; again, no triacs, the same number of points.

I wonder what pricing is like between 1000 and 1400?

Last edited: