1747-UIC Cables

Anyone have any success using a regular CAT5 network cable instead of the 1747-C13?

I've not been able to get my PC to communicate with the SLC500 fixed.
The 1747-UIC install process went as expected but the PLC does not show up in the Who screen. The USB and Okay LEDs light steady. Nothing on the DH485 until I shut down, then it blinks.

I expected to have problems because I'm new using AB products. I would like to know if the CAT5 cable is going to work or not.

When I picked up the 1747-UIC, the dealer did not have the 1747-C13 cable in stock, plus I would rather save the $50.

As always, thank you for your time and help;
Frank

** pins 3 and 6 are not connected on the 1747-C13 but are on the -C10, C11, C20.
I didnt try to do it (yet) waiting for Eddie to reply on my message , I have patch cord ready and will try it as soon as it will be clear to me what to do with pins #3 and #6

Did you go trough all the steps described in Installation instruction sucsessfully ? (identifying the assigned Com port ,Configuring the UIC in RsLinx)

The UIC is supposed to be a DF1/DH485 converter like the 1747-KE or 1770-KF3. You set up a DF1 Full Duplex driver, not a PIC driver, in RSLinx.

There should have been a USB driver that came with the UIC as well. This should make the 1747-UIC enumerate as COM3 or COM4.

I can't wait to get one of these to try it out !

Just connected my UIC to 5/03 via patch cord , upload/download = ok (followed the Installation Instruction ) After reconnecting UIC , system asked for drivers on disk A again ( I have external /:A ) Why ?

Did it work?

Allanbradl - are you communicating with the patch cord?

When I tried to use the UIC the seconds time, I also had to reinstall the drivers. I copied them onto the hard drive and installed from there. I'm not sure if the drivers are being asked for each time I use the UIC...I'll try and pay closer attention next time (which will be in a few minutes).

Frank

To Frank

Yes , I grabbed Hubbel C5E+ Patch Cord (5$) (first one from the whole bunch on the shelf) After I reboot my laptop there was no issue with drivers anymore , But after connecting to the 5/03 I couldnt connect to the ML1000 until I unplugged UIC and restarted RsLinx (At the same time cable on serial port was able connect to the same ML1000 )

Special Thanks to everybody with the idea about the Patch Cord !

I got mine (UIC) the other day and have not had much chance to mess with it. On my installation it wound up being installed as com4. However I could not see the UIC in RSWho so I went into device manager and changed it to com5 and set the DF1 driver up on com5 as well. that solved that problem. I still can not see the 5/03 port 0 with the serial cable. I can see it on port 1 just fine with a patch cord though. FWIW, the 5 dollar Belkin cable works fine for this.

I would really like to be able to get the thing to work with the serial cable though. Has anyone had any luck with this?

I finally got a 1747-UIC to test !

It came with a diskette with drivers, and when I plugged it in it went through the "New Hardware Found" twice; once to install the driver for "1747-UIC" and once to install a driver for "USB Serial Port".

When it finished (the floppy was SLOOOW) I checked the Windows Device Manager and found a "USH DH485 Serial Port (COM7)" enumerated. I do have a lot of other serial driver devices in this PC, so it makes sense that it would enumerate high.

I used a garden-variety RJ45 patch cable with all wires intact to plug it into a DH-485 network consisting of a PanelView, an SLC-5/02, and a 1747-AIC (it plugged into the Peripheral port of the AIC).

I configured a DF1 Full Duplex driver for COM7 in RSLinx 2.41. Autoconfigure did not function, so I just set it for the usual 19200 baud, CRC error checking, and "1770-KF3/1747-KE" device type.

Ta-daa ! It immediately browsed the network. The DH485 LED flickers, and the USB LED blinks when there's upload/download or browse traffic and stays off when RSLinx isn't doing anything.

I was able to go online with the 5/02 and upload from the PanelView.

It also worked when plugged directly into the DH485 port on the SLC-5/02.

I also rewired the network so that the 1747-UIC was connected to the RJ45 jack on the DH485 PanelView (a 2711-T9A2), and the PanelView was connected to the SLC-5/02 (the 1747-AIC isolator was not in the system). That also worked.

I then used a 1761-CBL-PM02 Series A cable (my oldest MicroLogix programming cable) to connect it to a MicroLogix 1200 that had been configured for DH485 protocol. It came right up on the RSWho browse once I moved the slider switch to the RS232 position.

I attempted to have the 1747-UIC trigger the auto-protocol-switch feature of a MicroLogix 1000 that was configured for DF1, but that didn't work. Probably there wasn't enough traffic for the MicroLogix to recognize the DH485 protocol (this also doesn't work when using the PIC driver on an ordinary serial port).

The only function I wanted that did not work was AutoConfig in the DF1 driver. I also found that when I was running two DF1 drivers ( the UIC and my built-in port) that I would have to shut down RSLinx and restart it before I could re-browse my COM1 DF1 driver (after connecting it to a new device). I don't know if that's 1747-UIC related.

If I unplug the 1747-UIC, I find that I have to STOP and START the DF1 driver for COM7 before the unit will begin working again.

All in all, I give it an A-.

I'll try it with some other devices as time permits.

Last edited:
Congatulations!

I think my particular UIC was a lemon. The distributor ordered me a replacement. He warned of a 4 week lead time. I'll sure be glad to get one working.

Thank you for all you info.

Frank

Questions for Ken Roach or someone who owns this adapter:

1. In RS232 mode did you try autoconfiguration with Micrologic or any other PLC on CH0?
You said that it did not work with DH485

2. If 1747-UIC used in DH485 mode to SLC does it make actual protocol conversion, like it is done in 1747-KE? What about RS232?

Thanks

Last edited:
The 1747-UIC is functionally similar to the 1770-KF3 or 1747-KE module. It converts from asynchronous DF1 Full Duplex protocol (on USB) to the token-passing DH485 protocol.

A small slider switch allows you to select whether the DH485 protocol is connected to a physical RS-232 DB9M connector, or to a RJ45 connector with three-wire RS-485. Both are electrically isolated from the USB common.

The 1747-UIC does not have a "do not convert protocols" mode, so you can't use it to a controller that uses DF1 protocol. For that, use a general-purpose RS232/USB converter. I strongly prefer the Keyspan U19.