OT: wireless interference

cnorm5623

Hi,
I am trying to get more wireless equipment in our plywood mill for ease of use. aka i just set up a wireless network so we can trouble shoot machines standing right in front of it. and i am waiting for a new wireless camera set up to get here to test out.

my question is has anyone already played with this stuff and have you had any interference from anything like freq drives or vise versa? i know we have had issues with freq drives messing up metal detectors and i dont wanna start screwing stuff up by adding a bunch of wireless equipment.o_O

If you have microwave dryers, you're going to get a load of interference in the 2.4 GHz range that will make ordinary WiFi "B" and "G" equipment unusable. I haven't seen frequency drives or motion controllers generating RF noise in the WiFi bands, but I suppose it's possible.

If you're going to do WiFi for more than convenience, invest in some tools or have somebody do an RF site survey. I've had great success with my Wi-Spy 2.4x GHz analyzer.

Consumer-grade gear is cheap, but I'm an absolute convert to Ubiquiti Networks hardware. Their Bullet and LoCo gear is only a few dollars more than consumer products and gives me a lot more uptime and power.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread, i am planning to go the same route, I'm in the textile industry, some of our machines can be almost 200m long, its a PITA trying to fault find at the opposite end of the machine to where the PLC is