1747-UIC Need Help Bad

I need help. I can't get my new 1747-UIC to work. My experience with Allen Bradley products is very limited so please don't take for granted I have performed something obvious. So far, about all I have accomplished is to connect my SLC500 1747-L40A using a 1747-PIC borrowed from work. I'm confident my PLC works okay. I'm using WinXP, and my PC skills are pretty good.

Let me get this out up front - I don't have the required AB cable, the 1747-C13. The store that sold me the UIC simply did not have one in stock. It appears that this cable isn't too much more than a typical CAT5 network cable, like what you would use to connect a cable modem to a PC or a PC to a router or hub. There has been discussion in this forum reporting success using this simple cable. The AB cable lists for over $50. That might not be a lot coming out of your department's maintenance budget but it is a hit to my electrician pocket.

So assuming that I can use the cheaper cable, what am I doing wrong? I believe I have installed the drivers for the UIC properly. The USB DH-485 Serial Port (COM4) is listed in the device manager screen.
I've installed RSLinx 2.41 Lite.

Using AB's instruction manual as a guide, let me tell what I've done, maybe someone can see an obvious mistake.
LEDs on the UIC: OK - lit
USB - lit (steady)
DH485 - off (however when I shut RSLinx down, the USB LED goes out and the DH485 starts blinking)

The RS485/RS232 port switch to RS485

AS mentioned before I'm using a CAT5 straight through cable going from the RJ45 port on the UIC to the RJ45 port on the SLC

Configuring the UIC in RSLinx:
RS232 DF1
COM4 (as reported in device manager)
1770-KF3/1747-KE
All the other choices are as shown in the manual 19,200 - Station #00 - CRC - full duplex

The next page shows the RSWho screen. Here is where my problem appears. I see the "00 1747-UIC" icon but not the SLC.

I'm really flustered. If you guys can't help, my next step will be going back to the store I bought the UIC and see if they can got it working. I'm hoping you can help.

Thank you for your time and help;
Frank

Set RSLinx to autobrowse and make sure you are browsing for more than one device on the DH485 network. The cat5 patch cable should work fine. Although your quickest bet would be to call Rockwell Automation and have your computer, UIC and SLC all hooked up and ready when you call.

I'm not alone

I called the AB tech support - the engineer had the same problem. He was using the proper cable too. I'm waiting on him to call me back.

I will happily share what he tells me.

Frank

That's unusual. An AB tech support engineer that actual acknowledges that someone besides you is having the problem, much less that tech support is having the same problem.

That MUST be an anomaly :)

The AB tech called me back. He reported that when he rebooted, everything worked okay.

The Allen Bradley cable costs $47 and the nearest one is in Ohio. Another thing that irks me... this cable is 3 ft long. How many times are you going to be withing three feet of the PLC?

I'm trying to make an appointment with a tech rep at the store I bought this thing from (Rumsey Electric). I have a feeling I'm going to get stuck buying this stupid cable just to see if my UIC even works.

I sure would be relieved to hear from someone that has used a regular network cable in place of the 1747-C13 on a SLC 500 fixed unit 1747 L40A.

Thanks again for all your help;
Frank

My co-worker had same problem, but he was able communicate using 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver instead. I can not confirm this, but try it.

The 1747-UIC is a DF1 to DH485 converter. It absolutely must use the DF1 Full Duplex driver in RSLinx. Trying to use the PIC/AIC+ driver will only confuse the issue.

I have to suspend commentary on the wiring because I don't have a 1747-UIC of my own to test.

Philadelphia Frank said:
I sure would be relieved to hear from someone that has used a regular network cable in place of the 1747-C13 on a SLC 500 fixed unit 1747 L40A.

I have used a regular patch cable on a 5/03. I would suspect it would be just as good on a 5/01, 5/02 or 500 fixed. But of course Rockwell Automation is not likely going to help you until you get the C13.

I Think My UIC is Bad

I spent the day with a tech rep for the company that sells the 1747-UIC. He could not get it to work. He didn't have access to the C13 cable either. What he was able to do that I could not was connect to a port 1 on a SLC500/03 (with the proper AB cable). That failed as well. I left the UIC with the tech rep.

I think that particular 1747-UIC was defective.

Frank

I talked with a friend today who is an A-B distributor and has a 1747-UIC. He is using a regular old straight-through CAT5 cable to connect to SLC-5/03 controllers. If it can connect to a 5/03, it can connect to a fixed SLC.

The bad news is that he says a large percentage of the first production run was rejected due to poor workmanship and shoddy soldering. Frank, you probably got one of the crappy first units.

That's a shame, as I know they worked for over a year on the enclosure and CE markings. The module was built by a company in India who are well known for their brilliant designs and lousy production quality. I guess A-B thought they could apply some Milwaukee production expertise but clearly it didn't work at first.

I'd be interested if anyone has got theirs to work on port 0 of a 5/03. Mine works well enough (have to stop and restart the driver from time to time). with a patch cable on port 1. But what I really bought mine for was to connect to the 5/03 port 0 via the USB interface so that I could at the same time use my true serial port to connect to an HMI (automation direct) that is connected to the 5/03's port 1.

Thank you Eddie;

Well Ed, I surely like your answer the best. I wish the AB tech support would have known it, or if they did, been honest enough to admit it.

When you are new to something, you are inclined to think problems are your fault. I just assumed I was doing something wrong. When I was exhausting possible errors on my part, I did not have a way to swap parts. I could not find any one who had a 1747-UIC or the proper C13 cable. That is a little sad. I bought this thing from an AB distributor, and no one there had the convertor or cable.

I thougt I was lucky to be the first kid on the block with this nifty new convertor. I suspect when I have one that works I will feel better.

Frank