panelview program for TON input

martink

I am currently wanting to create a Panelview screen which will enable me to change the Program (TON) timer settings for my packet placing equipment. I am using AB 500 logic and with a pv600 Panelview. I can alter my timing by 20ms increments with desired results, depending on machine speed. I would like either up/down button actuation or on screen numerical input, but not sure which would be the best possible option. Other ideas would be welcome, which ever would be most user friendly. Does anyone know of a suitable scheme that could work for my situation? Any input would be appreciated.

You can make an numerical input that addresses the Preset (.PRE) value of the timer.

Or you can make a numerical input that is addressed to a float value. Then multiply that float by a constant based on the timer preset. So if your preset is .01, you can have a float value x100 moved into the .PRE value of the timer. This will let you input seconds, and have it converted to the timer preset correctly.

Or you can create two buttons, and address them to a bit address. Then using that bit address to add or subtract the offset value you want to the preset of the timer.

welcome to the forum ...

regardless of how you set up the PanelView, you'll also want to "limit" the user's input to a range of acceptable values ... for one example, if you let the user "goof" and enter a negative number by accident, the processor will fault - and shut everything down ...

with this in mind, most programmers would opt for sending the operator's input to a "buffer" first - then check the input for a valid entry - before having the program pass the input on to the timer's preset ...

check the following link if you're not familiar with the "limiting" arrangement ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=23689&postcount=2

Last edited:
I appreciate the information. Based on what I have read, I am going to set up a screen which contains two buttons. each button will add or subtract the offset of the timer. this will delay the product drop to a desired point in the infeed track. I also would like to establish a buffer as Ron spoke to so I can limit the variable inputs. I am a novice at programming and would like to know how to properly set up the bit addressing and instruction rung to accomplish this. I have some thoughts but that usually gets me into trouble! Any feedback would help.