PLC 5 Help

Oceansoul

Hi. I have a problem with a PLC5/60 Processor. It was working fine, but then stopped communicating with its RIO (CH1B), with a red light illuminated on th 1B indicator. I put this down to a fulty 1771AF module, so i replaced this. Obvously turning off the chassis containing the Processor. The battery changed lable said about 6months ago, so i presumed this was fine, but when i switched it back on it did nothing. Just alot of red lights. I replaced the Processor with a spare one, and managed to download my program. The origional one now (in a test chassis) wont do anything. The DIP switches say DH+ node 31o, but i cant see it in linx (my DH+ connection works, as i can get on line to other plcs.)

Ive read before that when there is no programe containted, to download a blank programe, but i cant even do this.

So the lights i have on my PLC5/60 are PROC solid red. CH1A Solid Red. CH1B Solid Red.

The PLC is likely just fine, but lost its marbles due to a low battery or power supply issue.

When the PLC5 goes to a default state, the comms channels will also likely lose their configurations and resort to default settings for baud rates and node numbers. I have had one situtaion similar to yours in which I could not get any DH+ channel to work, so I had to get into it serially to find that when the PLC lost its mind, it disabled all the DH+/RIO channels! Once I dumped a good program in it through the serial port using a DF1 driver, it was just fine (that one got submerged chassis deep in water while running).

So, I would recommend trying to connect to the PLC-5 using a DH+ device trying all baud rates and at least 2 different node numbers for your PC (KT card or other DH+ interface). If that doesn't get you in, go with the serial port using a 1784-CP10 or equivalent (verify dipswitch settings are RS-232).

http://www.plctalk.com/qanda/showpost.php?p=416387&postcount=6

For a PLC5, Ch0, and Ch1A are setup by the dip switches. So they shouldnt be affected by the CPU being reset. You should still be able to connect via serial or DH+, with the same online settings as before.

Jesper I though only the old PLC5 where dip switch selectable. The newer ones are software configurable aren't they?

Jesper I though only the old PLC5 where dip switch selectable. The newer ones are software configurable aren't they?

Yes and no.

Channel 0 can be set by dip switch to RS232,RS422 or RS423. The baud rate,char,stops bits and handshaking are software
configurable. It also can be set to ASCII by software settings.

Channel 1A if set for DH+ ( it can be set for Remote I/O scanner,Remote I/O Adapter by software settings)
a dip switch sets the DH+ node address and the baud rate.

Channels 1B,2A,2B(if the controller has them) are software configurable.

This is why i thought i should be able to get online with Ch 1A as its set to node 39, DH+ and 56k via dipswitches. hmm i'll see if we have any 25pin d shell connectors and make up a DF1 cable tomorrow.

had the same problem with a 5/40 processor the other day working fine stopped working a solid red light on the processor and when I tried to go on line message said unknown processor, I hit communication download and it downloaded the program from the laptop via data highway plus over the default settings to the processor rebotted and worked fine strange thing is we had a good battery and an e prom installed in the processor.