Newbie Factorytalk Question

RacerX10

Does the $750 FactoryTalkView ME package have everything I need to set up HMI on a single windows pc ? RS Logix 500 / etc

Does FactoryTalk View ME ($750) + RSLinx Single Node ($350) get HMI up and running on a single Windows PC to a single SLC 500 with OPC data export ?

Thanks for your comments.

Well,, I not sure what your refering to by the ME package. There is FTView ME Studio which is used to develop and test ME applications. You will then need either a PnaelView Plus or FTView ME Station if you wnat to run the ME app on a PC.

None of these packages include programming software for a PLC.
You will need RSLinx Classic if you need to use an OPC connection.

RSLinx Enterprise is included with FT View Studio and provides the OPC communications to RA PLC systems. RSLinx Classic/Single Node is not needed.

If you plan on developing appliications to run on a PanelView Plus then that is all you need. If you plan on running this application on a Windows PC then you also need FT View Station. The copy of Station included with Studio can only run for a short time as it is intended for development testing.

If you plan on programming a PLC also, then tell us which model of PLC (ie... MicroLogix 1100, SLC-5/05) and we can tell you what sofftware will be needed for that. RSLinx Classic Lite will be necessary here, but is included with RSLogix.

OG

Hardware will be an SLC 5/05, Windows XP PC, and Touch Panel display.

I need to be able to export data from the SLC 500 operation to an excel spreadsheet, and present various data on the PC's display.

Looking to do it as inexpensively as possible; that's why I wondered about RSLinx Classic Single Node ($350).

How much does RSLinx Classic cost ?

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/performance/view/viewme.html

That page makes it sound like FactoryTalk View Machine Edition includes everything you need to run the HMI app on a PC as well.

I have RSLogix 500 / RS Linx on a notebook PC I can use to program the SLC if FactoryTalk ME and RSLinx Single Node don't include RSLogix 500.

Thanks for your comments !

Last edited:
If all you want is to get data from the SLC to an Excel spreadsheet, then RSLinx Classic Single Node will do the trick. No HMI is necessary.

If you want an HMI as well, then that is where FactoryTalk comes in. FactoryTalk View Studio is the development software and FactoryTalk View ME Station is the runtime for a Windows PC.

OG

If all you want is to get data from the SLC to an Excel spreadsheet, then RSLinx Classic Single Node will do the trick. No HMI is necessary.

If you want an HMI as well, then that is where FactoryTalk comes in. FactoryTalk View Studio is the development software and FactoryTalk View ME Station is the runtime for a Windows PC.

OG

Yah I need to do both.

Thanks for the confirmation !

Use a Redlion G3 HMI instead and you don't need any of that linx to setup exports. I am bias toward Redlion HMIs they do so much more than most HMIs that I find most other limiting.

Factory Talk View ME (Machine Edition) is for Panel View Dedicated HMI. If you want to Run the HMI on PC you will need Factory Talk View Site Edition.

I thought we had already established that FactoryTalk View ME can also create an application that will run on a Windows PC as long as a Station license is purchased.

You have to read the whole message thread......

OG

OG I thought i misread something. This was already answered and done. I started reading it again just to make sure

I am Sorry I was not able to understand this conclusion. After Reading your OMGs I did some RnD and found this from Rockwell Site.

• FactoryTalk View Studio: Configuration software for developing and testing HMI applications.
  • FactoryTalk View ME Station: A traditional "stand-alone" HMI solution that packages a server and client for use on a PanelView Plus, PanelView Plus CE, Rockwell Automation Industrial Computers, or other industrial computer running a supporting Microsoft Windows operation system.