Devicenet cabling

Alan Case

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi.
Wondering if anyone has successfully run devicenet through a cable reeler and sliprings.
The bulk of the run is in proper devicenet cable but for the last 8 metres I want to use 5 cores of a 12 core (1.5mm) flexible cable reeler.

The other cores will be carrying 415V and 240V (not VFD)

Regards Alan Case

Alan what about a wireless system? I know there are dnet compliant sliprings but I have never used any of them.

Hi.
Wondering if anyone has successfully run devicenet through a cable reeler and sliprings.
The bulk of the run is in proper devicenet cable but for the last 8 metres I want to use 5 cores of a 12 core (1.5mm) flexible cable reeler.

Regards Alan Case

I certainly wouldn't entertain the idea of using cores from a non-DeviceNet cable, even if only for a few metres, and I certainly wouldn't run them in any close proximity to 415 or 240V cabling, these are notoriously noisy, even if they themselves aren't supplying vfd's or other aggressive loads.

What about continious flex DNET cable made for tracks and Robots? Then buy your own blank reel and load it on?

You can get the continious flex cable from Lapp and Belden.

I have used one of these to carry a 120V 30A circuit and ethernet (same slip ring) to a rotating assembly with no problems. Luckily you only need four wires for ethernet. This is a very low speed rotating assembly but I have no reason to believe that it would not operate at the rated RPM.

http://www.mercotac.com/html/eightconductor.html

Shawn

Hi.

Regards Alan Case

The full answer to this question can be found on pages 70-75 of the DeviceNet Book of Knowledge (a powerpoint presentation).
It does say to NOT mix voltages in the same slip ring configuration, however.