Crimson 3, Build 418, random reboot problem.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,
I'm using Crimson 3 Build 418, and one of updates was "Fixed random reboot problem".
Even when I've noticed there are much less random reboots than with the previous build, I've seen my HMI rebooting randomly a couple times.
Has anybody else seen this issue?

Thank you!

I have only seen the random rebooting issue once and it actually turned out to be a field device bringing my power supply down for a bit. THis may not be your issue but I traced mine down by puting my volt meter on Min/MAx and monitoring the supply going into the HMI.

I was told that one of my G310s did that during a network problem which managed to kick four SLC 5/05s off the network and freeze up two managed switches and an ethernet to fiber adapter! We still aren't sure what lead to the network problems, but I was surprised when Mike told me the G3 was rebooting over and over again until he cycled power to it. We may have had a power brownout that caused both issues and it may have nothing to do with a network crash.

I didn't see this happen, and one power cycle fixed it since all the switches had already been rebooted when this was discovered.

In my case I'm pretty sure it was not a power failure.
I recall myself trying to stop several motors in sequence on the same screen when this happened.

Elcan,
Please remember that we do try to monitor this site at most twice a day. If you would like an answer direct from Red Lion please feel free to contact myself or any of the our other tech's
[email protected] or [email protected]

What HMI do you have? Have you been able to duplicate the problem? Can you send me your file?

Elcan,
Please remember that we do try to monitor this site at most twice a day. If you would like an answer direct from Red Lion please feel free to contact myself or any of the our other tech's
[email protected] or [email protected]
I posted here to see if any other Crimson 3 user was experiencing the same problem. I know you guys monitor this site, so I was trying to kill two birds with one stone. I'm assuming Red Lion will step into a thread and not will be waiting a direct contact. Am I right?

What HMI do you have? Have you been able to duplicate the problem? Can you send me your file?
I have a G310. No, I have not been able to duplicate the issue. Using the new build it happened only twice to me, and since the HMI was in the field, I didn't have the change to do much testing.
I will send you the file.
Thank you!

I posted here to see if any other Crimson 3 user was experiencing the same problem. I know you guys monitor this site, so I was trying to kill two birds with one stone. I'm assuming Red Lion will step into a thread and not will be waiting a direct contact. Am I right?
Yes we do our best to find and answer questions related to our products. However if you are anticipating an answer from Red Lion I would suggest contacting us directly for a faster response.

I have a G310. No, I have not been able to duplicate the issue. Using the new build it happened only twice to me, and since the HMI was in the field, I didn't have the change to do much testing.
I will send you the file.
Thank you!
The random reboot fix that you saw in the updates for build 418 was in reference to G306 units. Once I receive your file I will see if there is anything that sticks out to me.

I saw this problem ising a G310 with OPC enabled and also using SQL sync at the same time. It also seemed to occur on a G310 that had no OPC enabled, however, it was using SQL sync while logging events. i stopped logging events, and it stopped rebooting.

I was talking directly with Red Lion, and they suspect the problem could be generated by a corrupt cd3 file. I had at least one page that was supposedly copied from another project and that had different resolution than the other pages in the project.
When you say "I stopped logging events, and it stopped rebooting.". it reminds me that I've observed the screen where the logged events are displayed being shown without the operator moving to this page. It's like the HMI by itself decides to show the event log screen. Weird.

I was talking directly with Red Lion, and they suspect the problem could be generated by a corrupt cd3 file. I had at least one page that was supposedly copied from another project and that had different resolution than the other pages in the project.
When you say "I stopped logging events, and it stopped rebooting.". it reminds me that I've observed the screen where the logged events are displayed being shown without the operator moving to this page. It's like the HMI by itself decides to show the event log screen. Weird.

Are you doing any automaatic page control? IE do you have any tags that trigger a page to change. If you are copying objects from other screens are you also copying tags? I have caused a HMI to stop in its tracks because I copied a tag that had a PLC address I did not have in my new setup.

The G3 software is pretty good about finding issues like this but it can be fooled from time to time.
Hang in there with the RL guys they stay on an issue until it is fixed. I know this because I have hit them with some duzies. In fact I have there number saved to my cell.

Are you doing any automaatic page control? IE do you have any tags that trigger a page to change. If you are copying objects from other screens are you also copying tags?
Nope, I am not doing any automatic page control. And when I copy objects, I always try to correct the tags.
I suspect this issue with the event log page happens when there are a lot of logged data in a short period of time, but this condition does NOT always trigger the issue. The few times I noticed this happening, I saw several entries being logged in the past few seconds.

New one on me then

Not saying it isn't possible but I know that logging data and displaying it are seperate functions. To see an events page you have to call the page.

Simple test for this would be to make your current events page blank Then create another page and drop in your events viewer. See if the next time this happens if the page that popsup is the events page or the blank page.

If your events page is a popup instead of a full page you may need to put an object on the blank page so it shows up. Popups are sized by the area the objcts on the page take up.