Issues connecting to Siemens S7-200 using Citect SIMPPI driver

mls82

Hi,

I am having trouble connecting to a Siemens S7-200 PLC in Citect.

- Citect Version: 6.1 SPB,
- Driver: SIMPPI 1.00.03.001
- Siemens 485-232 PPI cable. (not the USB programming cable)

I've followed all steps in the simppi.pdf that is located in the Citect driverweb. My PPI cable is com port 12 on my machine and the PLC Address is 21 (not its default: 2). Note that the express communications wizard failed to add the PLC Address by default, so I have put that in manually (if I fail to do this I get a UNIT OFFLINE general error on the I/O device during runtime).

I/O Server: Name = IOServer
Board: Name = BOARD1, Type = COMX, Address = 0
Ports: Name = PORT12_BOARD1, Number = 12, Board = BOARD1, Baud = 9600, Data = 8, Stop = 1, Parity = EVEN_P
I/O Device: Name = IODev, Address = 21, Protocol = SIMPPI, Port = PORT12_BOARD1

Can anyone see anything wrong with the above configuration? My packet analyser shows a transmit but no response. Note that I can upload/download to the PLC in Step 7 so I know my cable is fine, and I do close it down before starting Citect to free the com port. I have played around with the Board Address (wont run), Port Number (wont run if not a valid port), I/O Address (same error), used different test tags etc. but can't think of anything else to tinker around with.

During runtime I get the following errors:
Generic Error 7: I/O device not responding
Driver Error 21 (0x15): DRIVER_TIMEOUT

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.