communications

G
Here is my problem: We have a A-B 1336 plus II drive it in turn has a
1203 communication module attached to it. The 1203 adaptor communicates with a DH+RIO (It uses the RIO-Channel B port), the
DH+RIO is in slot 1 with a 5550 Logix controller in slot 0. We use
The DH+, Channel A, to communicate with a Panelview 600. I have checked all connections brought up Whos active to verify connections.
At the Panelview screen I get a 685 error and after pushing af "F"
key recieve a 208 error. When monitoring the DIV instruction that
delivers Castor speed ,HZ, I never see a change in the zero value.

The casting production line was installed two years ago and hasn't
been fully activated since. We have cannibalized parts from it and recently have attempted to bring it back to life. We copied the program of the operating twin castor line to the 5550 controler and
have began resusatating the line.

I have wondered about a polled or paticular Tag base that the previous developer may have designrd and in his hurried departure didn't devulge to the resr of us. Please give some insight. :( :rolleyes:

What you've got is a 1203-GD1 (externally mounted) or 1336-GM1 (mounted on the drive's Main Control Board) RIO/SCANport interface.

These devices emulate A-B Remote I/O drops, and can be scanned by any A-B RIO scanner, including the 1756-DHRIO.

You must have the drive adapters configured for specific Rack, Group, and Size parameters with their onboard DIP switches.

You must also have the 1756-DHRIO Channel B configured to scan those particular drive adapters with matching Rack, Group, and Size entries.

If you were to post the DIP switch settings on your drive adapters, Forum members might be able to post equivalent RSLogix 5000 settings for the 1756-DHRIO Channel B configuration.

You might also view and post the information that is scrolling across the dot-matrix display on the 1756-DHRIO module.

communication reply

Ken: I had already checked out all of your mentioned configurations
and connections. I used Who's active to verify connections and observed changing data online while at specific routine rungs. The
Casting line that was running/operating properly was used as the blue print.

After going over your reply I Dug some more into the A-B manuals online and DH+RIO manual mentioned (CIP) messaging. When went back to
the plant I pulled up the several different projects and routines and
found the missing link. The messaging link was in the main project
totally remote from the project where the problem was located. The
messaging originated from the PLC,2,3 / Mapping from there I copied
the lines to the "new line" and found that the array N[7] had 38 words
as compared to the operating lines 88. The fewer data positions
restricted the transfer of the data fields resulting in the asterisks
and errors on the Panelview600 screen.

I will also mention that I had to copy/paste missing code to the new line, I should have caught this sooner. Michael 473

Good work, Michael. I had to go re-read your initial posting, and I evidently misinterpreted your question. I thought you were asking about making the 1203-GD1 and 1336 Plus II drive function correctly on RIO, not about making the PanelView 600 function correctly on DH+.

What you saw in the "PLC-2/3/5 Mapping" function in RSLogix 5000 is a way for the ControlLogix to handle old-fashioned A-B PLC controller messaging, which is usually called "PCCC Messaging". It appears "remote" from the routine you might have been monitoring because it's effects are "controller-scope", meaning they apply to the whole ControlLogix project (not just one Program or Routine).

PanelView Standard terminals that use DF1 and DH+ protocols can't read native ControlLogix tags. Therefore, users lay out arrays of tags that will be equivalent to Binary and Integer and Floating Point (B, N, and F-type Files in PLC-5) and use that mapping tool to tell the controller which array tags to use. Most users actually name the tags similar to the PLC-5 filename ("N7[x]", in your example) but you could calll them any Logix tagname like "PanelViewDH_Input[x]".

If the ControlLogix equivalent array isn't big enough to handle the incoming request, as was your instance, the 1756-DHRIO will return a DH+ error to the requesting device.

Another important thing to configure when using 1756-DHRIO modules and older DH+ devices like PanelView is the "default slot number", which is set up directly on the DHRIO by RSLinx just like the routing tables are. This allows the DHRIO to direct an incoming DH+ message to the correct controller slot, because DH+ doesn't natively include a "slot number" in it's target node address field. Your project may have simply worked by default with the controller in Node 0, but it's important to know that the function is there.