control panel wire colors

irondesk40

Curious. This is the wiring scheme that i was trained to use by my manager years ago and I still use it.

input wires - yellow
output wires - orange
+24vdc - Red
0vdc - Black

What kind of wire colors do you use, or are you suppose to use. This was the way I was trained, so out of habit that is still what i use.

hello irondesk ..

there few standard colour set by each country code..as far i know
for pwer cabel it always related to RYBN as for comntrol cabel
yes red for 24+vdc and black for 24-vdc..seem i been working in usa based frim they had specify colour codes for control panel ..

1) all alanog input + as grey and - as white
2) plc input as orange/red (1mm or 1.5mm cable for orange) red ac input
3) plc output as yellow/blue(1mm or 1.5mm cable for yellow) blue as ac ouput..

like i mention each country as diffrent colour code .you may should look for you country colour code which i strongly belive there are

Curious. This is the wiring scheme that i was trained to use by my manager years ago and I still use it.

input wires - yellow
output wires - orange
+24vdc - Red
0vdc - Black

What kind of wire colors do you use, or are you suppose to use. This was the way I was trained, so out of habit that is still what i use.

There are codes and specifications that cover wire colors, typically it depends on your industry and geographic area. I've never heard of using yellow/orange for I/O though.

Yellow is technically "reserved" for wires that would be powered externally of the panel you're working in. Kind of a warning that, even though this panel is de-energized, these wires might still be hot!

NFPA 79 has codes regulating wire colors. Yellow and Orange are reserved colors.

Wire color and relevant regulations have been a common topic here. A forum search should turn up hundreds of posts on the subject.

Interesting... our company standard also specifies yellow and orange for low voltage PLC inputs and outputs. After reading Alaric's post, I looked in NFPA 79 and see that orange is in fact a reserved color. Didn't find anything about yellow except as a tracer in green grounded conductors.
13.2.4.1 The color ORANGE shall be used to identify ungrounded conductors that remain energized when the main supply circuit disconnecting means is in the off position. This color identification shall be strictly reserved for this application only.