PLC to panelview 6000

mdwaldron

Control logix 5000 plc not sending infomation to panel view 6000. Panel view and PLC seem to be working fine other then no information sent to panel view screen. Program was lost in PLC and after i downloaded the program information was not being sent from PLC to screen

Welcome to the Forum !

You're going to need to post more information to get some advice.

There's no such thing as "panel view 6000". There are 6 inch PanelView terminals in the Component, Compact, Standard and Plus families, all of which are slightly different. The best thing to do is post the exact part number from the sticker on the back of the terminal.

A PanelView terminal is almost certainly going to display some kind of error message when it cannot communicate with its controller. Is yours ?

What sort of physical connection is there between the PanelView terminal and the ControlLogix; RS-232 serial, ControlNet, Ethernet, etc ?

It is panelview plus 600 Instead of 6000 sorry and there is no alarm message on the panelview. The I/O light on the PLC is blinking and when i looked on the program settings there is a yellow triangle on the output card.When I clicked on it and looked at the properties it had a module fault: code 16# 0315 connection request error. It also says the CIP object in module does not exist and may be an identity mismatch or improper configuration

strong suggestion:

post your complete ACD project file for the ControlLogix ... (you'll have to zip it first - forum rule) ... (if it's still too big to attach, then do a File Save As - and set the type to Import/Export (L5K format) ... (then zip and post it) ...

also ...

give us ALL of the numbers on the PanelView's label ... something like 2711 will probably be in there somewhere - plus a lot of other important stuff ...

best guess based on what you've posted so far:

the program that you've downloaded to the ControlLogix is a slightly older version - and changes were subsequently made to the configuration for the PanelView ... chances are that those changes didn't get properly saved to your back up file ... IF (big IF) that IS your problem, we can help you reconfigure the setup to match the PanelView - but we need detailed information from you in order to do that ...

secret handshake: saying "I've got a PanelView 600" is sort of like saying "I've got a Ford" ... specifically, there are a LOT of different models that fit that "600" definition - and one size does NOT fit all when it comes to the setup in ControlLogix ... that's why we need all of those numbers off the PanelView's label ...

DISCLAIMER: the guesses I've made above are based on what you've posted so far ... this might all change once we have more information to work with ...

Last edited:
Do all of the I/O modules have the yellow triangle icon, or just one of them ?

If it's just one, exactly what model of I/O module is it ? The General tab in RSLogix 5000 will show you the 1756-xxxx part number.

The PanelView Plus 600 terminal requests data from the ControlLogix in an unscheduled manner, so there won't be an icon in the I/O tree for the PanelView.

While you can suppress the appearance of diagnostic error messages in the PanelView, the various graphical, numeric, and text items on the screen will indicate communication failure by showing "?????" for strings, and "*******" for numbers, and a wireframe outline for visibility or position or color animated objects.

Describe in more detail exactly how the PanelView manifests "no information sent". Having all zeroes, or data that doesn't change is going to indicate something different than having question marks, asterisks, or wireframes.

The triangle is just on 1 and it is a 1756-ob32 32 point 10v-31.2v dc output card. On the panelview there is ****** and ?????? where the numbers should be. Thanks

Good information, thanks !

The next thing that I would check is the "OK" LED on the 1756-OB32. Is it on or off ? Red or green ? Flashing or steady ?

Are you familiar with using RSLinx to browse the backplane ? You should be able to browse the backplane over Ethernet to see if the 1756-OB32 module can communicate over the backplane. If it does show up in the browse, right-click on it to see if the part number and firmware revison match what's in the configuration in RSLogix 5000.

The PanelView Plus terminal should also show up in an RSLinx Classic browse. If you know the IP address of the terminal you should try to PING it to be sure that it's functioning on Ethernet.

It's pretty unusual for multiple things to go wrong at the same time (program clear, module malfunction, PanelView malfunction) without a damaging event being responsible. Have there been any power surges or lightning strikes or short circuits on this equipment ?

The 1756-ob32 ouput card is in slot number 4 and in the program it has this card in the #4 slot and the #5 slot. The yellow triangle is on the #5 slot. This must be why the green light for I/O is blinking. Would this cause communication failure between the PLC and panelview? If so can you tell me how to take it out. Thanks for your help

Just to be sure we're on the same page, remember that ControlLogix slot numbering starts on the left, at Slot 00. While the CPU is often at that location, it can be located in any slot.

The absence of a module in a slot that's configured to have a module certainly explains both the yellow triangle icon and error message and the flashing green I/O status LED on the controller. Of course, these conditions would have existed prior to the program erasure and PanelView communication loss, too.

The absence of an I/O module doesn't explain either the controller program erasure or the PanelView communications failure.

So you have to start by examining the PanelView a little bit.

Ideally, verify that the PanelView Plus is communicating on the Ethernet network. Do you have an Ethernet switch local to the system that you can plug in your PC to, and use the RSLinx browse ? The PanelView Plus should show up in the "EtherNet/IP" driver browse, and you should be able to PING the PanelView Plus's IP address from a command prompt.

Is there a chance that the IP address of the 1756-ENBT (or similar) Ethernet module got changed during the recovery of the controller ? My guess is that you downloaded through that module so you know the IP address, and that it is scrolling across the module display.

The more information you can give about the circumstances of this failure the more the Forum members are going to be able to guide you to a solution.

My next step would be to open the FactoryTalk View Studio project for the PanelView Plus and verify the IP address associated with the controller's Shortcut (a pointer in the Communications section) as well as verifying that the tags that the PanelView's display objects are trying to read actually exist in the controller database.

I will double check the slots. The panelview plugs into a ethernet box and the Ethernet/ip card also plugs in the box. The only other cable is one that goes to a connection block that allows you to connect without openning panel. I cannot connect this way. I had to use another Ethernet/ip card that I plug in when I need to connect. This is how i downloaded the program.Is this something I need to fix first? THANKS

Yes, you need to be able to connect to the same Ethernet network (the "box" is undoubtedly an Ethernet switch) as the ControlLogix and the PanelView Plus to perform this sort of diagnostics.

Start by determining the IP address of the ControlLogix Ethernet module. If it's a 1756-ENBT or -EN2T, then the address scrolls across the front panel.

If something else is scrolling across the panel other than an IP address (like the words BOOTP or DHCP) then you have a different problem; you need to configure the Ethernet module !

If it's an older 1756-ENET, then you need to plug into the control system in some other way (use the controller serial port or the second Ethernet module you mentioned) and browse to the Ethernet module that connects to the PanelView terminal. Right-click and select "Module Configuration" and you'll see the IP address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway addresses.

Once you know the IP address of the 1756-ENBT module, you can configure your computer for a compatible IP address and get online with the actual control network between the ControlLogix and the PanelView terminal.

What, exactly, is the IP address that is scrolling across the 1756-ENBT module display ?

Are you familiar enough with Windows network configuration to set your computer's IP address to a static address in that range ? You might need to get help from a PC-savvy colleague to do so if you're unfamiliar with it.

A typical IP address for a controller is something like "192.168.1.2", and a typical Subnet Mask is "255.255.255.0". You're going to want to set your computer for an IP address of something like "192.168.1.50" with a subnet mask of "255.255.255.0", so that the ControlLogix, the PanelView, and your PC all have unique IP addresses that are part of the same "192.168.1.x" subnet.

Those are typical addresses: there's no guarantee your system is set up with that range.

After you have an IP address set up on your computer that is part of the same IP Subnet as the ControlLogix, you can create an "EtherNet/IP" driver in RSLinx Classic that should show you both the ControlLogix and the PanelView Plus in a browse.

All we're trying to do right now is confirm that the PanelView Plus can communicate with the network, and that the ControlLogix can communicate with the network.

The next step is to figure out why the PanelView Plus can't read tags from the ControlLogix.

As I suggested earlier, more information from you tends to elicit more help from the Forum. Perspective, history, recent events... all of these will guide our thinking about what could be wrong with your system.