Communications disconnects

wvbroker

I am using a dell pc connecting to an allen bradley micrologix plc. The dell pc has usb ports and no serial ports so I am using a usb to rs232 converter. I am also using Rockwell software rslinks and micrologix 5000. I can configure the driver in rslinks and connect to the plc. The problem I am having is that after a few seconds I loose communications with the plc and have to uninstall and reconfigure the usb to rs232 com port connector. Can't get anything done because I can't stay connected ;long enough. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Welcome to the Forum !

This is a fairly common problem, as many inexpensive USB/RS232 converters aren't worth the plastic they are made out of.

You'll find that the consensus favorite among PLCTalk users is the Keyspan USA-19HS.

In fact, I recently installed my last one inside a customer cabinet and need a new one... they're sold over at PLCTrainer.net (a forum member) and by most online retailers.

I am using a dell pc connecting to an allen bradley micrologix plc. The dell pc has usb ports and no serial ports so I am using a usb to rs232 converter. I am also using Rockwell software rslinks and micrologix 5000. I can configure the driver in rslinks and connect to the plc. The problem I am having is that after a few seconds I loose communications with the plc and have to uninstall and reconfigure the usb to rs232 com port connector. Can't get anything done because I can't stay connected ;long enough. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Probably just try a different USB/RS232 converter. I have one I use for AB that is fine; another doesn't work at all. The one I use is a Belkin F5U109... although since I've had it at least five years, that number probably will not help much.

Thanks Ken I will try one of the converters you have mentioned. We just got this new pc our old one had serial ports and we never had this problem.

Welcome to the Forum !

This is a fairly common problem, as many inexpensive USB/RS232 converters aren't worth the plastic they are made out of.

You'll find that the consensus favorite among PLCTalk users is the Keyspan USA-19HS.

In fact, I recently installed my last one inside a customer cabinet and need a new one... they're sold over at PLCTrainer.net (a forum member) and by most online retailers.

I have ordered the Keyspan cable and will let you know how it works out. We did have another cable at work I tried but it didn't work they are both the same brand however.

Thanks Ken I will try one of the converters you have mentioned. We just got this new pc our old one had serial ports and we never had this problem.

Open the hardware manager and select the properties of each of the USB root hubs, and disable power management. This will keep windows from powering down that port to conserve battery when it thinks its not being used when in fact you are using it. If the port is powered down by windows then the usb adaptor doesnt work when it comes back up and you have to disconnect and start over.

And stay away from the cheap adaptors. The Keyspan adaptor is the best choice.