RSView32 Drag & Drop

pr_wainwright

Hi,
I have an RSView32 project which includes graphics that show the positions of drilling rigs (displayed as coloured boxes with text on a map background image). Every few weeks the rigs move to a different area of the map for drilling. At the moment I update the graphic for the client when the rigs move & replace on the production PC using LogMeIn.

Is it possible to allow drag & drop at a user level so the boxes & text could be moved as an object to the required position on the map without having to manually change the graphic every few weeks?

Thanks
Paul.

I don't think there's any way in RSView32 to click on a graphic object and move it with a mouse. But RSView32 grafix objects can have an X and Y position on a screen determined by values of a tag. You could assign position animation to the object based on a tags value. To move the object on the screen, just change the tags value.

Just thinking some more. I know FTView SE has animations called horizontal and vertical sliders. I think RSView32 does also. Using this animation, would give the operator the look and feel of being able to move the objects around the screen.

The simplest way I can think to do it is to apply both vertical and horizontal slider animation to the object and give it dummy memory tags. It just tried it out with a simple square and it worked to position it anywhere on the screen.

It would probably take some fiddling with the map scale but you could write a script that scales the lat/long of the the rig location to the XY position on the screen. When a rig moves you enter the new coordinates and the position animation will move it.

I'd go with slider animation

edit:
You'll need a way to save and recall the positions if RSView is closed. A VBA routine could write the values to a file and then reload them.

I also see that jkerekes suggested it while I was trying it out.

Last edited:
Can you make the memory tags in RSView32 retentative as you can is SE? I haven't used RSView32 in a while. If so they would retain the values. I tried it out using slider animations too and it should work fine.

There is a Retentive Tag tool on the RSView32 resources CD that you can use. After RSView starts you run the tool from the command line and it will reload certain specified tags. I've never used it - I store tags I want to retain in an .mdb database file and read it using VBA.

Edit:
See technote 6154 for some example VB code that refreshes a tags initial value field with its current value so that when RSView restarts the tag initializes to its last value.

Last edited: