RSLogix: Motion Instruction Error 82

OOPer

Every once in a while I get this motion instruction error 82 while homing/enabling/disabling a Kinetix module. Error code 82 doesn't exist in the RSLogix help. Anybody knows what this secret code means? :sick:

what version of Logix are you using?
How are the axis configured : Servo_Axis_Drive or something else?
which instructions Exactly MAH, MSO, MAH, MSF ?

Last edited:
RSLogix 19
Axis_CIP_Drive
MAH, MSF, MSO all these do this error. It's not consistent. I did notice that it usually happens after coming back from a fault condition.

look at (Default location on your PC)
C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\Common\ENU\Docs\motion_instr.pdf

Appendix A

The Error code is "CIP axis in incorrect state." The axis was found to be in the incorrect operational axis state.

ohh what a useless error message

More information on the Axis State that may be useful for you
Please post back here what you find out as I have a whole heap of PF 755 in my next project and am interested in what you find out.

Knowledge base 69996 and 69997 - access everyone
69996 - How do I read and understand CIP Axis State for an Axis_CIP_Drive?
69997 - Axis CIP State Behavior versus Axis Servo Drive in SERCOS

69996 CIP axis in incorrect state.

69997 CIP axis in incorrect state.

Thanks Michael. I think that kinda makes sense about incorrect state.

When the drives are faulted out using the EStop, resetting the drives got finicky. At the end I had to add a 2-second wait after fault reset.DN before sending any of these commands to consistently recover from faults. I am not 100% positive, but I don't remember seeing the 82 again after this. I will have to double check when I am back on the floor in a couple weeks. I will keep you updated.

Recovery from Estop is always finicky

Been looking at the ACD file on knowledge base 69996
that code is $hite - the sequencer has errors in it

What I think matters is you need inspect the axis.CIPAxisState and then do the right thing to recover or wait for the drive to finish doing something

Recovery from Estop is always finicky

Been looking at the ACD file on knowledge base 69996
that code is $hite - the sequencer has errors in it

What I think matters is you need inspect the axis.CIPAxisState and then do the right thing to recover or wait for the drive to finish doing something

True. I was already using the Axis CIP state to avoid enabling when the drive is in a pre-charge state during power-up which also happens after EMO "sometimes". The help file confused me between Axis CIP status and state which are two different things.

The thing that's ambiguous in that ACD sample is the "Faults are repaired then cleared based on the type of fault seen." on rung 8. No mention on how to determine this, esp. since the drives don't do the same thing consistently. I am right now doing a Shutdown reset first and then Fault reset for every fault.

Once you get to recovering from over-travel limits it's a whole another animal. I can't understand A-B's logic behind complicating this basic stuff. :confused:

The thing that's ambiguous in that ACD sample is the "Faults are repaired then cleared based on the type of fault seen." on rung 8. No mention on how to determine this, esp. since the drives don't do the same thing consistently. I am right now doing a Shutdown reset first and then Fault reset for every fault.

Does - Axis_1.CIPShutdownStatus change state and help your logic?

Hmm i`ll have to set one up on a test bench and play hardball
Once you get to recovering from over-travel limits it's a whole another animal. I can't understand A-B's logic behind complicating this basic stuff. :confused:

That is typical - as an extra I'll scare you with complicating simple stuff - Knowledge base article 66060 - Power Programming V4.1 – ( ISA-88 & PackML Based)
This is what rockwell want their OEM's to use http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/66060/kw/power%20programming

Last edited:
That is typical - as an extra I'll scare you with complicating simple stuff - Knowledge base article 66060 - Power Programming V4.1 – ( ISA-88 & PackML Based)
This is what rockwell want their OEM's to use http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/66060/kw/power%20programming

:ROFLMAO: I actually used the PhaseManager in this project (It wasn't called power programming). I kind of liked it. But then again, as my screen name suggests, I am from OOP background.

Does - Axis_1.CIPShutdownStatus change state and help your logic?

Hmm i`ll have to set one up on a test bench and play hardball

I was using ShutdownStatus, and it didn't do squat. I didn't see the CIPShutdownstatus member. Is there a document with an explanation for all the Axis_CIP_Drive members (not GSV stuff in the help)? I was actually using GSV for CIPAxisState, I just realized that there is member for that as well...

I was using ShutdownStatus, and it didn't do squat. I didn't see the CIPShutdownstatus member. Is there a document with an explanation for all the Axis_CIP_Drive members (not GSV stuff in the help)? I was actually using GSV for CIPAxisState, I just realized that there is member for that as well...

to find all the axis UDT members I monitor the axis tag and expand (different versions have different members - usually latest has more)

Manual CIP Attributes
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/motion-rm003_-en-p.pdf

Also in your Motion Group attributes do you have "Auto Tag Update" enabled? - the Shutdownstatus might not be updated unless this is turned on

Every once in a while I get this motion instruction error 82 while homing/enabling/disabling a Kinetix module. Error code 82 doesn't exist in the RSLogix help. Anybody knows what this secret code means? :sick:

Just ran into this same problem. Solved it by adding the following before the MSO:

XIC AXIS.FeedbackIntegrityStatus XIO AXIS.ModuleConnFault

Good Luck.

I am having these faults now as well. Looking at my alarm log, I am in fact int the wrong state: "control sync fault" "connection reset". Looks like the same problem as the last poster.

look at (Default location on your PC)
C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\Common\ENU\Docs\motion_instr.pdf

Appendix A

The Error code is "CIP axis in incorrect state." The axis was found to be in the incorrect operational axis state.

ohh what a useless error message

I get that on my system when the Enable input to the drive is not on.

i have the same issue, after an sto.
i am doing the msf then the mso, but the mso does not work.
i should do some delay before the msf and before the mso?
or add some axis bits logic before calling these two instructions?