Allen Bradley software on windows 7

Mporter4

I would like to purchase a new laptop but I am scared I will not be able to use my old Rockwell rs 500 software on the windows 7.
i really don't wont to upgrade my software (no contract) has anyone had any issues or solutions for this?

Well others on this forum have had luck getting much RA software to work under W7. What versions of the software do you have? Also if you get W7 Professional you could use XP mode or buy VMWare Workstation or use the free VMware Player. Also it depends on whether you have 32 or 64 bit W7.

sorry I'M not sure what version I have. I know its about 11 years old.I will be getting a "cheaper laptop" not the professional.(64) BIT

OK. If it's not W7 Professional, but Home, you might have an issue with directly installing RA stuff. Most of the RA software that does run under W7 needs the Pro version. But you could still usr WMware. You also could create an image of your old computer and make that into a VMWare image.

VMWare has Workstation which costs around $180.00. VMware Player and Server are free. I haven't used player in a while, but it now can create a virtual machine, it just can't make multiple sanpshots, I think. I use Workstation. Can't work without it anymore. It's the only way to keep multiple different versions of RA software on the same machine without screwing everything up.

VM Player can do about anything you want EXCEPT no snapshot manager I think. I have not used it in a while either.

I would lean towards Windows7 Pro x64 8gb Ram and VMPlayer if it were me.

If you could get the current versions of your AB software I would lean towards Windows 7 x86 and 4gb of ram. I have ran just about everything they have on Windows7x86 without a hitch.

VM's are powerful and I would never give mine up, but they require some extra knowledge to use effectively and lots of RAM. Sounds like you never change software, so if you could get the up to date releases of your packages life would be much simpler on a single machine.

RSL

That should work. The reason that you want Pro is because it comes with a license for XP for use in a virtual environment like VMWare.

I'm using VMWare Player and I like it.

Keep in mind that running Pro only helps you IF you can get current software revs. or are going to use the XP Mode virtual machine in Windows7.

Any solution that incorporates VM's will need plenty of RAM or it will run real clunky.

Solution #1 Windows7 Pro x86 4gb RAM and current revs. of software. (install software to Base Machine)
Solution #2 Windows7 Pro x64 8gb RAM and VM player.
Solution #3 Windows7 Pro x64 8gb RAM and Use XP Mode.

I say you need Pro because you are going to need the XP mode licenses to create your XP VM's anyway. This is the cheapest way to get XP licenses.

I am having good luck with running everything under XP in VirtualBox (another free VMware alternative)

I'm actually using it right now, online with several PLC-5s using a 1784-U2DHP

I have just purchase a dell computer,with I believe on 4gb.
I bought the product code to change the home to professional and i was hoping i could just emove to the new laptop.
I am thinking now i will have to purchase a upgrade anyway on the RA software is this correct or am I alright with running rslogix 500 version 6.0?

If you have the funds then you should upgrade, you will not be able to communicate to any 1400's if you have any with 6.x I think you need 8 or better

I also dont use any VM's I just run them all straight on W7 pro 32 bit, but I have more then one PC and split up the software on them

geniusintraining said:
I also dont use any VM's I just run them all straight on W7 pro 32 bit, but I have more then one PC and split up the software on them
Having more than one PC is a luxury or a hassle, or both.
VMware runs fine with "older" software such as RSLogix5 and RSLogix500. You dont need to upgrade to the very latest versions, only to what will run under the host VM's OS.
The responsiveness of RSLogix under VMware is allright, especially if it is only for the occasional maintenance job.
DF1 and ethernet connects no problem. For DH485 and DH+ you need the latest (and expensive) USB adapters (*). I use DF1 for all my SLC500 maintenance jobs, and if a PLC5 job turns up I am lucky that we always have ethernet PLC5 CPUs. (have been 4 or 5 years since the last PLC5 job).

*: Not sure if the latest USB adapters also require that RSLogix is uptodate.