Allen Bradley software on windows 7

By changing to prfessional does it automatically make this a 32 bit machine or do I still have to do something else.
the only processors that I use are the slc-500 series micrologix 1000,1100,1200.
all DF1.
I Know nothing about VMWware OR EVEN what it is! its greek to me so i would like to stay away from that if at all possible.
All i want is to connect a usb to serial adapter to say a slc5/04 on DF1 and communicate with a new windows -7 Professional laptop without buying a rockwell software upgrade!Is it me or does this seem harder than it has to be?

If you have a 64 bit Windows 7, changing to pro will not make it a 32 bit.
But changing to pro should give you "XP mode" which is a virtual 32 bit Windows XP. That is perfect for running software like RSLogix500.

Having more than one PC is a luxury or a hassle, or both.

Both... but have to support everything that I sell not just support the equipment but the people, this was easy in when I first started but getting harder and harder, one of the first questions I ask when I get a phone call is what OS are you running, I know I am not the norm but for me is better

*: Not sure if the latest USB adapters also require that RSLogix is uptodate.

No only RSLinx needs to be a newer version if you need the supported drivers, I do have customers that are still running Windows 2000

RSLinx is a free download (just large) so this works for most

Not to confuse any issues but I had heard that when you run a virtual machine in win 7 that you only run one processor, and that since the 64 bit version runs two duel core processors it runs twice as slow as the 32 bit version that only runs one duel core processor, is that true?

Not to confuse any issues but I had heard that when you run a virtual machine in win 7 that you only run one processor, and that since the 64 bit version runs two duel core processors it runs twice as slow as the 32 bit version that only runs one duel core processor, is that true?

Short Answer: No that is not true.

Longer Answer: Yes, running software on a virtual machine will run slightly slower (and it depends on a whole lot of factors), but there's a good chance you won't even notice the difference.

Not really...
Had to go to Win7 not too long ago (corporate decision!).
Ordered a Win 7 Pro 64-bit machine with a VMware Workstation license...At the time I was XP Pro SP2 running pretty much every piece of Rockwell/Siemens/Modicon/AutomationDirect/Eaton/Omron software released within the past twenty years...
A month later got my new machine...(y)
It was upper tier hardware, however, running Win 7 Enterprise 32-bit...:mad:
At the time I didn't have any other choices since I had to finalize a 5730 CompactLogix already installed system, requiring RSL5K 20 which, as we all know, will not run on XP SP2 (required by some of the already existing software copies and peripherals' thirty years old drivers).
So I've taken possession of the Win7 32-bit machine (4GB RAM-locked to 2GB!o_O), created a VMware Workstation VM, installed XP SP3 and unlocked the host's RAM to 3 GB.
It took almost forty hours to transfer/activate all the software...:D
I've decided to start-up the VM with 1GB of virtual RAM (since I ran the old XP machine with 3GB)...It was SLOOOOOW!:sleep:...When running one instance of RSL5K 20 and FTVS ME in the VM the host's memory usage was pegged out at 98%!:sick:. Consequently I had to reduce the virtual memory level to 512MB in order to keep the host to less than 90% of memory usage!
Got the job done, raised hell to corporate IT and got the Win7 Pro 64-bit 8GB RAM machine I've initially ordered (Intel Core i7-2640M).
Cut/Pasted the 150GB VM from the Win7/32 machine into the new Win7/64 one (about two hours), set the virtual memory to 3GB and ran.
:geek::geek::geek::geek:
I could run RSL5K 16, 17, 19, 20 simultaneously Online and develop four FTVS ME applications while picking Online tags and the thing is pretty snappy. The host's memory usage never went over 50% so far.

In conclusion, running a VM within a 32-bit OS host is just a waste of time and aggravation!
32-bit systems cannot address more than 3GB of RAM and any VM will gobble up most of it.
IMHO 64 bit is the way to go (presuming the host CPU is a middle to upper tier device).

Last edited:
Short Answer: No that is not true.

Longer Answer: Yes, running software on a virtual machine will run slightly slower (and it depends on a whole lot of factors), but there's a good chance you won't even notice the difference.

Anything running virtualized on a type 1 or type 2 hypervisor will always have a lower degreee of performance than runnning a OS on bare metal but what you lose in performace you gain much more in flexibiliy, scalability, management and in a server enviroment energy savings.

Type 2 hypervisors (VM Ware on your laptop)has the highest degree of performance loss but as a previous poster said you will most likely never notice it if your vM is given the correct amount of Host resources.

Last edited:
Dear All members,

Could you help me how to install Rs5000 on Windows 7 -64bit? What version should I use? How to active with Floop A?

Please help me. thank you very much.

singleperson,

There are a few things you should know about RSLogix 5000:

1) You can have multiple major versions installed on a machine at a time
2) You must have the software version that matches every controller firmware revision that you plan on programming (major revision, not minor)
3) Not all versions are officially supported in 64 bit but you should be able to get most of them installed. I run 13 - 20 on my machine. Some took work, like V16 required me to install .NET framwork 1.1 SP 1 before I could get it to complete

So say you have controllers in your facility that have V15 and V19, you must have software versions 15 and 19 installed on your machine. When you buy. If you have purchased the latest version of RSLogix 5000, it should have came with all previous versions down to V10 (if I remember right), install them all.

Edit: If you have older versions and need to use the floppy license then I think you are probably going to have to install all of your software in a virtual environment like VMWare using XP.