Power consumption of VSD drives in the off-state

Binaural

This may seem like an odd question, but I have a few large motor control cabinets that need to be powered up simultaneously for customer testing. Each MCC normally has a single 1000A supply. I need to size some circuit breakers to power up each of these cabinets, but since this is only for testing I would like to use small ones.

I can estimate the power consumption for everything well enough except the VSDs - not surprisingly, the manufacturer doesn't tell you the power draw when the VSD is not driving a load. Does anyone have any information they could share here? The drives are Allen Bradley Powerflex 700s.

I just checked our PF700 125HP drive. It was pulling about .3-.5 amps per leg at Idle.

During cold startup I saw a spike of close to 18 amps per leg. But this probably changes slightly depending on the size of the drive.

Last edited: