PC-based hmi..

Citec, wonderware, Ignition, Factory Talk, AdvanceHMI

Many systems are available.

Peak HMI ?

Could you explain "Peak HMI" a little ? The website looks somewhat plain , and it seems ridiculously low priced. I am looking to grab tags from about 5 ContolLogix plcs ( ethernet ) and I would like to mount a large PC screen in the office to keep track of data from all over the plant.

Is Peak HMI good for trending ?, can you grab tags from 5 or more plcs ?

I am looking for a cheaper HMI package than Rockwell SE , etc. to run on a PC. Would you have any other PC HMI products in mind that would be reasonably priced.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

>Could you explain "Peak HMI" a little ?

PeakHMI is a full featured HMI that is very easy to use. We designed it so scripting is not required. It has a powerful scripting engine. Most users never use it. We do not have limits on tag count, graphic count, drivers, etc. Really no limits. All the drivers are native (about 25 last count), no DLLS, .net, OCX, etc. The only external files needed are if you are using OPC and the needed files are in the installer.

>Is Peak HMI good for trending ?

Yes PeakHMI has extensive trending. On the project screen shots web page you see that one customer project had trends on almost every screen of the project.

>..can you grab tags from 5 or more plcs ?

Yes, PeakHMI can handle 5 tags. It can handle 1000's of tags.

>...5 ContolLogix plcs

PeakHMI can communicate with ContolLogix and it does not need RSLinx.

We have extensive help files and about 27 demonstration videos. The demo/trial installer is fully functional. It has a few 'count' & time limits but the program can be fully evaluated.

And finally, we have excellent support.

You can contact support at hmisys dot com, if I can be of more assistance.

Hi,

Have you ever used a pc-based hmi? I wonder how they work, I'm pretty interested.

I beleive that the 'Free 50' version of IGSS has drivers for your plc types. You can download it for free from www.7t.dk
The only limitiations from the full SCADA version is (as far as I know/recall) max 50 tags and only one simultanous PLC driver.

You can search this forum for IGSS. The IGSS starter page might seem a bit messy, but "you'll get used to it" (as the fox said when it was skinned
icon12.gif
)

Kalle

You can use Visual C# for FREE instead of these horrifically costly SCADA systems. It works well with Beckhoff (Industrial PC). However, I'm not sure with other brands.

You can use Visual C# for FREE instead of these horrifically costly SCADA systems. It works well with Beckhoff (Industrial PC). However, I'm not sure with other brands.
If you roll your own system you can always use it for free. That is if you don't count your hours. I can't do that because I have to work for a living. In that case a ready to use system is the only solution. Question is to choose the one that is lowest in price and gives you most of your wishes. For the moment Citect is the one for me: it does all I need it to do, it's fairly easy to use and my clients don't seem to mind the price for what they get.

Regards,

We have 3 Cllgx PLC's ethernetted to 4 identical Wonderware PC's (1400 hard I/O...). It works well enough (I always quesion the update rate and 'ghosts' that the operators claim to see...) but I think it'd be kinda expensive- the setup also seems to be a bit complex. Its easy to see that Wonderware would scale well though.

Going to a PC is nice, and gives you a lot of flexibility, but keep in mind that it opens up a raft of security concerns as well (from people playing games/movies on the PC to someone 'accidently' connecting it to the internet and getting infected)

Going to a PC is nice, and gives you a lot of flexibility, but keep in mind that it opens up a raft of security concerns as well (from people playing games/movies on the PC to someone 'accidently' connecting it to the internet and getting infected)

Not to mention the raft of windows belly aches. And speed. For a monitoring system, sure go right ahead...on the plant floor give me a microsoft-free hardware based HMI every time.

Of course, Ignition runs on Linux or an iPad, or anything else with Java I suppose. I think their free version of it would do what you need too.

I still haven't had the chance to learn how to use it for graphics, but my counterpart here has replaced our RSSQL system with Ignition for data collection with excellent results.

We have 3 Cllgx PLC's ethernetted to 4 identical Wonderware PC's (1400 hard I/O...). It works well enough (I always quesion the update rate and 'ghosts' that the operators claim to see...) but I think it'd be kinda expensive- the setup also seems to be a bit complex. Its easy to see that Wonderware would scale well though.

There are Windows base touch screens - they generally don't have easily accessable ports other than openning the panel up. not usually a problem although your point is correct.