Micrologix1500 Timers

plcengineer

I will be using a Panelview550 along with a Micrologix1500 PLC. The customer wants to set valve on/off times from the Panelview550. The times need to range from .1 to 86,400s. How do I handle this when most timers increment .01,.001 and 1 s.? Do I cascade the timers together? Do I need to use the F8 file for floating numbers to get the decimal in there?

I'd stick with integers if possible.

I usually use an N register for the O/I entry, and then a move command to get it into the timer preset. If you have very long times, beyond the available range of the timer itself, have the done bit trip a counter, and use it to count minutes. You can scale the time preset in your logic.

Now, I don't find it realistic that the same valve will require that broad a range in time. It would help if the customer could identify which ones will be at the lower end of the range, where a timer only will suffice, or at the higher end of the range where you will need both the timer and counter (and perhaps a floaing point preset?). If he can't then you may need to call one of two subroutines for each valve depending on the preset value, one with the timer and counter and one with the timer alone.

Timers

Personally , I'd look first at the fact that you don't want to setup
all the timer input entry fields the same , because the
vast range 0.1 to 86000secs , could have consequences if someone
enters a very wrong value, i.e 10 instead of 0.1 , 860 instead of .86

I'd go through the process of a building a matrix of what timers
are to be clamped to what ranges.
This done , and only then, I'd look at setting entry to suit "groups"
Then if a certain group needs 0.1 as the preset use it, ditto for the
1.0sec range

Maybe not what you wanted , it will involve time, but get the customer involved , explain its necessary for system integrity
and charge for the time !

Kevin