What components require CSA approval?

dmmons

We have a customer that requires CSA approved components for a control enclosure we are building. I am looking going through our current BOM and trying to make sure everything is compatible. I understand that the major components such as breakers, relays, contactors need this approval.

Is it correct to assume that components that are not conducting electricity (DIN rail, end stops, etc.) do not need this approval?

What about thermocouples?

I think this is a very good question to ask your customer. I think I would get a list from him for what has to be CSA and what does not - only to prevent future squabbles.

CSA UL etc etc DIN rail - seems silly to me. But if that is what customer wants and is willing to pay for it oh well it is his money.

Dan Bentler

Thanks guys, I have already asked the sales guy to get a clearer understanding of what components are required to be CSA, and whether or not any other certifications would be acceptable.

This is going to Canada, so the CSA is the standard they are using.

We have a customer that requires CSA approved components for a control enclosure we are building. I am looking going through our current BOM and trying to make sure everything is compatible. I understand that the major components such as breakers, relays, contactors need this approval.

Is it correct to assume that components that are not conducting electricity (DIN rail, end stops, etc.) do not need this approval?

What about thermocouples?

I dont think I have ever had a CSA inspector look for a listing for DIN rail or other mounting hardware. You are correct that items conducting electricity need to be approved as well as the enclosure itself.

It has been stated in other posts on this thread to contact your customer to see what they require. It is not up to your customer. It is up to CSA only.

You may want to contact CSA to get a copy of their requirements. www.csa.ca

Thanks guys, I have already asked the sales guy to get a clearer understanding of what components are required to be CSA, and whether or not any other certifications would be acceptable.

This is going to Canada, so the CSA is the standard they are using.

As well as CSA, we also accept certifications from ULc, Entela, and if going to Ontario you could get approval from ESA. All these agencies certify machinery using CSA codes.

Our Shop is certified to build UL/cUL 508 panels.

Some locations in Canada seem to still only accept CSA even though UL and CSA are supposed to be equivalent. I think that is changing as more standards merge.

I assume that you are building something which is to be located in a hazardous area? That being the case then you need to decide what type of protection you require such as explosion proof, intrinsically safe, purged enclosure etc. More details of what you are building and the hazardous location in which it is to be installed if applicable is needed.

CSA does not need to be for hazardous locations.

In some locations in Canada, the inspector will not let you power up the machine unless the control panel has a CSA certification sticker.

Others will accept cUL or as controlled stated, there are other certifications in other locations as well.

It seems in North America it is very much a local decision as to what certification is required. In the USA some states have mandatory UL508 certification required and some do not. But in the states that do not, some local jurisdictions have a UL508 requirement. The term I have heard most often used is that you have to know the requirements of the AHJ (Authority(s) Having Jurisdiction).

In general, I believe we are talking about standards for Industrial Control Panels. There are separate requirements for hazardous locations.

Ul csa

Equivalent? perhaps. One in the same and/or use one or the other? Absolutely not. If the customer specs CSA then do not build a panel to UL508a. It must be built to CSA SPE-1000-09, and then inspected at your facility to gain the CSA stamp. There's no sense in running into liability issues, just do it right the first time.
Our Shop is certified to build UL/cUL 508 panels.

Some locations in Canada seem to still only accept CSA even though UL and CSA are supposed to be equivalent. I think that is changing as more standards merge.

If the customer specs CSA then do not build a panel to UL508a. It must be built to CSA SPE-1000-09, and then inspected at your facility to gain the CSA stamp.
Would never think of it. We have a 3rd party do CSA certs since we don't have that many requests for it.