give me some thing to do!

alex_cordova

Here is a picture of what i have to play with in my suitcase.
The class that i had with a rockwell allen bradley instructor was closed, because of lack of funding in a adult school.

I was learning pretty fast with this guy, but iam at a dead end.

In the suitcase i have:
Control logix 1756-l55/a
input 120v
output 120v
1756-of8
1756-enbt
1756-dhrio
1756-cnb
powerflex 40 with 22-comm-e

slc 5/04
input 120v
output 120v
1746-nio4v

compactlogix l31
input 120v
output 120v
1769-if4

panel view plus 1000 ver 5.0

and some starters and push buttons

maybe some of you guys could give me some projects with these controllers, like msg between these plc some advanced drive integration with control logix and slc

anything would help guys
thank you

1325271282755.jpg

Last edited:
Start with just a simple start/stop latch.

Then you can move on to some other programming examples.

Traffic lights is always a classic (you can even make a fancy one if you've got a HMI).

You could try and write the software for an automatic garage door (button for open and close, motor drive up, motor drive down, proxy to say door is open or closed. Alarm if door is out of position for longer than 10seconds. Visual representation of the door on the HMI).

A lift going up and down over 3 floors. Motor to open / close doors. Proxies on each floor. Open / close push buttons. Again visual representation on the HMI.

Automatic washing machine... clothes go in. Lock door. Fill with water (open a valve for a time or until a fill level probe is hit). Heat water (again a timer or a temp sensor). Spin the machine (operate a motor). Stop motor, open the drain valve, unlock door after time etc...

There's a few to be getting on with

HTH

Cheers

John ;-)

Well to be honest, i pretty beyond that phase already,
looking more for drive integration with control logix enbt
and drive msg with slc 500
msg to different controls hmi ext.....
Scp things like

thank you anyways uptown47

1. Setup the modbus comms to the vsd.
make the screen control the drive - and dislpay all it's functional parameters. including torque.
Alternatively - setup Analogue control and Analogue feedback
2. Setup Produce and Consume tags
3. Setup comms to all PLC's
4. Setup HMI to 'talk' to All PLC's and control various functions.
5. Send MSG's between PLCs

That will keep you busy for a while

all of them - each one is slightly different to program.
get it going on one PLC - then do it on the next.
send info across the plc's to control the drive.
You will be hitting your head against the wall.
But it will be worth it.

I forgot to mention there are a huge range of alarms and diagnostic alarms available - find them and display them as alarms on the HMI
also
show logging trends for motor speed and current or analogue values

any one of us will help
Just post a zipped copy of your program with the PLC you are using at the time - otherwise we will ask questions for that info.
good luck - you will enjoy it

Was it just me or did anyone else think, gee maybe I should just post my latest project's software requirements for him to work on and then ask for a copy to "see how he did."

o_O

Good idea.

That is a really cool suitcase you have there. Where did you get that?

If you are looking for something to really challenge you to learn skills and effectively implement them here is a project that I have been wanting to toy with but have neither the spare time nor extra hardware to do so.

There is an overhead conveyor with 600-700 'shackles' hanging from it. The shackles are hung from the line every 6" and travel in a loop. Product is hung from each shackle then must be weighed and distributed across drop points. Product is discharge by a 'kicker' actuated by a pneumatic solenoid valve. Average speed of the line is 150 units/min. The line is driven by two VFD's. Each drop point has a photosensor as well as the weigh point. There is also an encoder of one of the line drives. Actual frequency of the VFD's may change to maintain volume across the line. Shackle count of the conveyor may change as sections of the line are removed to accommodate for line stretch. Updating counts on the line and the command frequency should be done relatively automatically. A setup mode is acceptable as this information does not normally change during operation.

Weight ranges for each drop should be changed through the HMI. Additionally there should be an automatic assignment function that allows the required count to be entered at each drop and a desired weight range where the system will set the high and low weight limits for each drop point. These values should then be able to be manually changed by the operator. The HMI should also include trending information to aid the operator in setting weight ranges.

Alarms should be called for any miss counts from the photosensors and those sensors automatically be disabled at which point the information from the disabled sensor should be replaced by data from another sesnor by use of an offset. Any product not successfully unloaded should also trip an alarm as well as any weights out of range.

Utilize the contrologix as the main processor for this process and the compactlogix to simulate discrete inputs, as well as encoder counts, and weight values. Encoder counts and weight samples should be supplied via ethernet, devicenet, or dh+.

Here's an example. My point is not to copy this but to make something that works better, is PLC driven, and improve my skills. If I get time to play with this and I get it to work I'm pretty confident I could do anything.
http://gainconew.bettcher.com/index.php/overhead-systems

Why don't you just keep an eye on the forum. When someone has a problem you've got the equipment to help with a solution and actually simulate the solution and results. Helping others solve their problems is a great way to expand your skills.

Calliflash,

What is the whole point? Is this system to sort poultry carcasses by weight?

Knowing what you are doing helps a lot with figuring out how to do it.

In the video you are exactly right. Poultry is my background. I did not specify this in my example because the logic and hmi scripting you would have to develop can be used in a broad number applications.

To develop a system like this you have to relate data to each shackle and make decisions based upon that. Even change decisions just before product is unloaded. This could be applied to a lot of highspeed conveying systems. It is also good skill practice for other applications, remote I/o interfacing and translating encoder counts as an example. There's a lot of different ways to tackle this.

Like I said, I wish I had the time and hardware to tinker with this problem