Cheap Leak Detection

JoshM

Hi,

I am looking for simple leak detector that I can wire into an I/O module. This is not for a critical piece of equipment, so I'm not looking for anything to pricey.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Josh

Hi,

I am looking for simple leak detector that I can wire into an I/O module. This is not for a critical piece of equipment, so I'm not looking for anything to pricey.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Josh

I have seen these used before
http://www.smarthome.com/7160/Winland-Electronics-WB-200-WaterBug-Water-Sensor/p.aspx

I have also seen a aspirin tablet placed under a microswitch lever. When the aspirin tablet gets wet it crumbles and the limit switch contact changes state.

Hi,

I can think of a few questions.

1) A constant pressure system where a pressure drop could be used?
2) A constant flow system, an increase in flow could be used?
3) An enclosed system that has a drip pan?

As I was writing the above, I thought of ten more questions and then I had the bright idea.

Please define the system.

As Mark said
Please define the system.
A drawing of the system would help and operating paramters ie pressure temperatur flow etc.

Why leak detection is important to you

Dan Bentler

Water leak detection in a small ceiling drip pan. I want to be able to pick up leaks from a FCU. The sensor can be analog or discrete. If it is discrete I would like to be able to calibrate it, so it does not false alarm.

Last edited:
Not sure of what you define as "cheap", but I use the OMRON floatless level switches quite often for water in places it shouldn't be. They're not too pricy here, but I'm not sure how big this drip pan is. i've seen the floatless relays work with a couple bits of wire for the electrodes if you really wanted to cheap out!

http://www.ia.omron.com/product/family/244/index_fea.html

Looks pretty similar to the other offerings posted.

Asprin under a microswitch... that's creative! I think it might be too tempting for the electrican to swallow when he's having troubleshooting headaches!

Asprin under a microswitch... that's creative! I think it might be too tempting for the electrican to swallow when he's having troubleshooting headaches!

I can hear the bean counter screaming when informed of this
WHAT !!!! Employees are eating our aspirin - we're gonna go broke!!!!
Off with his head!!!!

Dan Bentler

Low tech device used on sprinkler systems to detect when it rains is a bowl with 2 conductors. When it rains it fills the bowl and the 2 conductors short out turning on a relay.

This would be in my opinion the easiest to do. I would suggest using 24 VDC for power. I would not use anything higher for obvious reasons

If your drip pan is metal then you could use it as ground and "dangle" the common going to the relay.

Leak detectors are of two types - Active and Passive. Passive leak detectors make a buzzing sound when they get wet by water coming from the leaks whereas active leak detectors not only sound the alarm but stop the water from leaking as well. Active leak detectors are more expensive then passive leak detectors but are more effective in dealing with water leaks. So choosing any one of them depends on your specific needs.