Total Control Quickpanel Question......

JoseM

Guys,

I have about four or five of these HMI panels that the management in my plant wants to convert them to PanelView Plus 1500.

Does any one knows how can I extract the graphic program from these panels so I can start building the new application on FT View Studio.

Do you have the development software for the panel? We use their "Quick Designer", v3.70. You will also need their special cable (it has some electronics in it).

The software has an upload function, but I've never used it so I don't know what you'll end up with. Some HMI software will allow the developer to prevent uploading. Don't know if this is one of those.

That is my number one problem, that this facility doesn't have the development software.

These equipments where deliver here many years ago by vendors or equipment integrators.

The electronic configuration for this communication cable will be very useful if you could help me with that Joseph.

I did an upload from a quickpanel last year. The software will work for 4 days without a license. So you can download it. The problem is that you need the special TTL serial cable. It's not a normal one. Also you can prevent someone from uploading the program.

Any idea if I could perhaps build this cable or my only option is to purchase it from the Pro Face website.

While I don't think it's impossible to make your own cable, there's electronics built into it. I'm not sure if the configuration is available.

Have you seen this cable. Would something like this works,

Black Box RS-232<->TTL Converter Serial adapter

The conversion is indeed from RS232 to TTL voltage level. However, once you have the cable and the Quick Designer software, there is no guarantee that you'll be able to upload from the Quick Panel. That's because the original builder of the machine may have chosen to download only the runtime executable to the Quick Panel. In order for the end user to be able to upload from the QP, the original programmer must have also download the project file.

My advice is to try to locate someone local with the necessary software and cable and pay for a few hours of his time to come to your facility. He can upload all the files if possible and print a report for you. If the project file hasn't been downloaded to the QP, you're only out the money for the service call. Why buy software and waste time building a cable you're only going to use once when there's a chance they'll turn out to be worthless.

I think Steve Bailey has the best idea. I might be able to help if you were in SW VA, but TX is a bit far.

I'll try to remember to check the next time I'm in the office to see if the electronics are sealed up. It *MAY* be possible to reverse-engineer the thing, but I still think Steve has the right idea.

I have built a couple of these cables and have the instructions at the office. The instructions have been posted here in the past so a search may uncover them. Have you tried this?