Serial Download problem with Total Control Quickpanel jr (QPK2D100L2P)

xga

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to perform a serial download with a Total Control Quickpanel jr (QPK-2xxxx) using an old computer running QuickDesigner 3.7. I have the cable pluged into the Tool port of the Quickpanel jr and the other end into the single comm port of the computer. I have the correct model selected in the QuickDesigner application, port is set to RS232C at 9600 baud and I presume that PLC can be set to <No Protocol>. When I attempt to initiate the serial download, it looks like it is about to start but then fails with the error message "There are no panels defined for this project!".

I've also changed the baud rate in the courier.ini file from 38400 to 9600 but it still doesn't work.

Would anyone have any suggestions on what I have failed to do or anything else I should try, please?

Thanks in advance.

First, the voltage level for the programming port on those old Quick Panels is not the same as the RS232 port on the PC. Consequently you need a special cable for download. The cable has active components to match the voltage level. Are you using the correct cable?

Second, it almost sounds like you are trying to download a blank application. The message suggests that you need to create at least one screen (panel) to be displayed on the Quick Panel. Or else you need to select an existing .prj project file to download.

Or, you may be misinterpreting the direction of transfer. In this case, a download is from the PC running Quick Designer to the Quick Panel. Are you actually trying to pull the application in the Quick Panel to the computer running Quick Designer?

Thanks for your reply, Steve.

I've been advised that the cable is the correct one and that it is very specific to these models, so based off that information I don't think it is some sort of generic cable.

My mistake! Yes, I am trying to pull the application from the Quickpanel to the computer. I'm assuming that I need to use QuickDesigner to do that or perhaps there is a different application I should be using?

From the Quick Designer "Project"menu, select "Upload" rather than "Download" to move data in the direction you want.

The Quick Panels have always included a feature that allows the original programmer to prevent anyone from extracting the program from the HMI. When the OP sends the application to the Quick panel he can choose whether to include the project file or only send the compiled runtime file. If he chose to only send the compiled runtime file you won't be able to pull anything from the HMI. It's been so long since I used a Quick Panel that I can't remember if the message you got is due to the OP's choice to only send the compiled runtime, but that could be the issue.