RSLinx Question...

JoseM

I need to ask a quick question to you all. The picture shown has the "Who Active" of all modules I have configure on a LOGIX 5562 rack. On the 1756-ENET/A module I have an RJ-45 cable that goes to two processors, SLC 5/05 and another Logix 5562 in the production floor.

Can you guys tell me why I can not see these two processors when I browse the network with RSLinx?

Who Active.PNG

RSLinx Enterprise can browse remote Ethernet networks like that, but RSLinx Classic hasn't implemented the same function.

Instead, you specify the IP addresses of the devices you want to browse on the remote network.

Browse through the backplane to the second 1756-ENBT, then to the Ethernet network (as you have shown above).

Right-click on the "A, Ethernet" object and select "Properties". A dialog box will appear that will let you enter the IP addresses of those remote devices.

The RA Knowledgebase has a straightforward technote on this: Article ID 29258.

what Ken Roach said would work.

As long as they're interconnected. The other thing is the driver you're using is just an Ethernet driver which doesn't actively look for other stuff on your network like an Ethernet I/P driver would.

Thank you both for the reply. I manage to follow the instructions on the Tech Note and this is what I got. The PLC on 191.16.115.90 is an SLC5/05 which you can see that it find it but it doesn't let me drill down to the processor to do uploads. Can I change the driver on RSLinx to the Ethernet I/P one without having to reconfigure everything.

RsLinx_Who Active.jpg

Last edited:
You should be able to just browse to that SLC-5/05 and upload/download/go online.

Make sure the EDS file for the SLC-5/05 is registered on your computer, so that RSLinx knows it's an SLC processor.

I don't think you can do uploads from linx. ****That would have to be done through RSLogix 500 or whatever you're using. I think. But setting up the paths in Linx allows you to find it in Logix***

you can ADD an Ethernet IP driver without having to reconfigure everything..

*** I have been wrong before and I could be wrong here, so hopefully someone else can help with that particular issue.

How can I check to make sure that I have the correct EDS files, Ken. Also, why I could drill down on the Logix 5562 and not on the SLC5/05. Im just curious...

Remember that the ControlLogix family has a multiprocessor, browsable Backplane. Even the embedded controllers like CompactLogix run a "virtual backlane". It's a fundamental part of the ControlLogix communications architecture.

PLC-5E and SLC-5/05 and MicroLogix 1100/1400 controllers, by contrast, have the communication port built in. Any "drill-down" you see in the SLC-5/05 will go to the DF1 port if Passthrough is enabled, and there's no port-to-port passthrough in the PLC-5E or MicroLogix.

You don't have to "drill down to Slot x" when you're dealing with an SLC-5/05; just browse to the icon for the CPU.

Modern (the last 4 versions or so) RSLinx Classic releases can upload EDS files from many ControlLogix family devices (just right-click and select Upload EDS From Device), but I doubt the SLC-5/05 supports that feature. In general if you see an icon that looks like your device, it means the EDS file is correctly installed.