Industrial Servers

Tim Ganz

I am looking for some industrial servers to run rockwell factory talk view SE servers and we have versaview 1700 computers as clients.

Right now we have the same ME project running on 3 versaview units so we want to move to se server.

The server hardware needs to be located in the hoffman cabinets at the line and we need something that will run server 2008 r2 and the hardware will work with ESXI. Our other systems are like this but use dell office type servers that are in their own room but the boss wants something that will be in the cabinets at the line.

Does anyone have a recomendation that they have experience with? Dell does not make a industrial hardened server.

Why have the servers in the industrial/factory enviroment? SE allows a distributed system. I really don't know of any true server machines that are relly rated for manufacturing floor.

Why have the servers in the industrial/factory enviroment? SE allows a distributed system. I really don't know of any true server machines that are relly rated for manufacturing floor.

There are some facilities that don't have very good server environments. For that application, industrial servers are better.

In any case, you need to take care of the environmental conditions or your equipment will have a very short life indeed.

One problem with "industrial" servers is that they are usually not as powerful as the office variety. You need to be aware of the minimum equipment requirements of the software. Problem with that is that they are not really up to date and have references back to XP or even NT days. I try to get the most ram and best processor(s) that I have budget for.

Adding my $.02.

I have a rack full of HP proliant servers at one of my clients and they have got to be the hottest running machines I have ever seen. The redundant P/S that these have in them have exhaust air that is well over 120 degrees F.

I have replaced several of the supplies over the years and while that are fairly inexpensive - they wouldn't need replacing if they didn't run so darn hot.