Protection needed for PLC trainer

kapooski2012

Hi everyone,
I’m still gathering my components to build my PLC trainer. I’m sure I don’t need a MCR for protection but I’m sure I need some kind of overcurrent device to protect the PLC. I have a couple inline fuse holders and 1.5 amp breaker a can get a bigger one if needed , a bunch of #16 & 18 wire from SO cords that I cannibalized .
So, what do you suggest, my loads would be I got a bunch of 3 watt lights, a few 120vac ice cube relays, a few nema 1 motor starters (120vac coils) a couple of IEC motor starters, course I would not run everything at the same, I know enough not to blow up everything, I think I have too much for a simple trainer but what the hoot!:geek:

Add up all the loads that you are going to run at the same time.

3 watt lights at 120 volts = approximately 3/120 Amps = 0.025 amps.
120 volt control relay = about 100 VA inrush current/120 = 0.83 amps.
For motor starters, look up the catalog number at vendor's site and find coil volt-amps or rated amps to pull in. Also add the operating current for your PLC(see your PLC specifications).

Or you can use the 1.5 amp circuit breaker.