Micro-1 to PC communication issues

Tim James

I've got a couple old micro-1 pics and I'd like o be able to pull the old programs off of them. One is an IDEC and one is a SqD but I know they are basically identical. They are both 8003 series. I have a copy of OFW30 and a Rs-232 to 422 converter cable and I've been trying to get online with them to no avail. If I go to the 'assign' screen it shows that the PLC is in run mode but it won't pull a drop number and it eventually says protocol error 1028. I haven't tried hacking into the cable to swap txd and rxd wires yet since I know this cable used to work (granted on a much older PC). I also know the communication is not supposed to work very well with modern processors but I'm trying anyway. Does anyone have any recommendations on my serial port settings in windows? Obviously 9600 baud, but what about the other settings? Btw, I am running OFW30 in a 32 bit shell, but I'm used to doing serial port communications through the virtual machine so that shouldn't be an issue. Since I can see the run status I know I'm making some headway. I haven't gone through and tried all 255 possible drop numbers. Regardless of which drop number I use in the utility configuration I see the run status, no current drop number and then protocol error 1028. I might be able to dig up a copy of WinDLR if you think I would have better luck with that. Otherwise it looks like my only option is to hack into the cable to swap wires. Don't suppose anyone has some clever work arounds? Thanks for the help.

The SQD and Idec are exactly the same for Micro-1. Idec cable is FC1A-CLA. Google that for more info. Schematic for it on this site here. See link in post #2.

9600. 8-1-Even. RS485.
From another site:
"Pin assignment from left to right when you compare with the FA-2J connector
A1/B1 = +
A3 = Rx
A2 = Tx
B2/B3 = -"

I see you are trying to use a fairly new computer setup. I think you have the answer when you said the cable used to work on an older computer. So many things have changed in the past 15 years to computers. If you can find an old computer designed and running on Windows98 or earlier, the RS232 commport will probably work for you. WindLDR also should work. If not, CLIP software would be better. It is a DOS based software originally designed for the PLC.
Under certain applications people have used SlowDOS or DOSBox software to slow down the newer computers to run the older applications.

Last edited:
So I got a copy of WindLDR from my local IDEC rep and installed it but similar to the my PC being about 20 years too advanced, this version of the software only goes back to the FC4 IDEC PLC. Anyone know what version if WindLDR I would need to communication/program with a Micro-1? The version I have is 6.47. I can't find a version log on the IDEC website that describes which versions support which controllers. I'll take another look around some of the older machines at my office and see if any of them have an older version loaded on them. It sounds like my chances of getting OFW30 to work with a modern computer are slim to none. I might be able to find a laptop in storage that is still running windows 98. I might give that a shot. Thanks guys.

Back in the days of Micro-1, I tried a copy of WindLDR. It was horrible compared to the Square D software. Stick with SQD.
You asked about serial port addresses.
Com 1. 3F8, IRQ 4
Com 2. 2F8, IRQ 3.

There are ways of putting DOS on a boot disk, thumb drive, or CD.
The problem will still be the software won't be able to access a NTFS hard drive.
Finding an old machine is the best way to go.
I ran the SQD software in a DOS window without trouble. I remember having it as an icon on the desktop. Must have been a Win98 machine.
I thought my SQD software was SFW-50. Don't recognize OFW30. I think you mean SFW-30.

Last edited:
Yes I meant SFW30. Its been a long day. I will try look for an older version of WindLDR and I will try to get a DOS emulator to see if that has any effect on SFW30 communications. Correct me if I am wrong, but since I am at least seeing the PLC status in SFW30 I don't think I have Rxd and Txd backward through my cable. I think I have a couple D9 phoenix adapters around here somewhere which would allow me to check without cutting into my cable, but I doubt this is the issue.

Last edited:
I've perused through the SFW30/Micro-1 programming manual already. It wasn't a lot of help for this particular conundrum. I just put DOSBox on my computer and tried running SFW30 through that. It definitely slowed the program down so that is behaves normally, no locking up and things flash at a normal rate. The weird thing is now I can't even see the controller status, it just shows a communication timeout. I wouldn't think DOSBox would interfere with my COM1 setup. If I run SFW30 (with the same internal comm settings) through the command prompt without changing any system settings I at least see the controller status and then "protocol error 1028". Very odd.

Are you using a real physical RS232 comm port on your computer or a USB to serial RS232 adapter?
I'm not sure but DOSBox may have some settings you can vary to improve the comm's. SlowDOS does have various settings to set the speed and so forth. Also, as Keithkyll said you can download a DOS bootdisk and boot from there.

So I tried running SFW30 from hardcore DOS (I booted into DOS) and now it's saying COM Port setup failure. Instead of displaying 'ASYNC' next to COM1 it's displaying 'NONE'. I'm sort of thinking without windows running to provide the drivers for my COM port (which I'm guessing is running through some sort of PCI card type thing) it's not going to work at all. After looking at my COM port in device manager, all it says for location is "extended I/O bus" so I can't tell for sure if it's a traditional old school hardwired to motherboard com port or something else. It's not easy turning a new computer into an old one. Trying slowDOS next.

Update:
Tried slowDOS. Basically repsonded just like I was running it in regular cmd prompt. Recognized the com port, recognized controller was in RUN, 'Protocol error 1028'. Didn't matter what delay/speed I tried on DOSBox or slowDOS. Looks like I will just be shooting for better luck with WindLDR if I can find a compatible version, but I'm still interested to try any other recommendations.

Last edited:
Well, it looks like at the very least that the comm cable is working. I hope you get it worked out. I have another person I am trying to help that is working on a similar situation and if they get it solved, I will post it here.

Last edited:
Just a thought concerning the SFW30 software. From the main menu screen, change to F4 (UTIL), then cursor down to INTERFACE, try F1 (TOGGLE) the interface to RIU20 - RS232, then F10 (LOAD), then Escape back to Main screen, then try to go F1 (ONLINE).

I had been trying it with the RUI20-RS232 configuartion. I believe he the RUI10-422 is if you are using multiple PLCs in a ring topology in which case you would need a RS232 to RS422 converter, or if you just happen to have a PC with a 422 differential serial port.

I am going to give WindLDR a shot later today.