Operator Interface

karlk

I work in the oilfield in Canada. I was wondering if anyone has come across an operator interface that will function at -40? It should also have the ability to be mounted on an exterior panel and have a nema 4 rating. It also needs to have a good screen to be able to compensate for bright sunny days and a backlite for night operation. Am I looking for the impossible? There are a few custom designers for the products but I want to buy something off the shelf and develop it myself.

I'm also from Alberta, and I'm pretty sure you are asking for the impossible. Why can't the interface be mounted on the PLC Cabinet in a nice warm and clean room? What kind of site is it and what kind of control is required?

I guess I should have given a little more information. These OI's are to be mounted on the back of pumping units used for oilfield services. They are exposed to ambient outdoor conditions which range from sunshine to snow. They are usually parked next to a drilling rig or else on the road to the next location. I can't imagine any condition more severe than this. The job they are to perform initially is data collecting and logging and later for some control. The applications are straight forward but the working enviroment is the killer.

I would say your best bet is to install it inside a heated & insulated cabinet with or without a viewing window. Then have a door on it that must be opened to operate it since it is likely that you will not need to very often. Another option would be to have RSView or something on a PC in remote location to this, like the driller's shack, etc.

Last edited: