PLC choice. Mitsi or Fanuc?

Mech_n00b

Hello all

I am about to buy in a new piece of equipment for our factory. It is a pressure testing rig for the testing of toughened glass. The intention of the piece of equipment is to identify any flaws in the glass as toughened glass with defects will explode under the applied pressure.

The design is complete and now I have a choice of two pieces of PLC software to run it. My choices are Mitsubishi or Funac as these are already on site but are dealt with by external contractors.

I have a small amount of knowledge surrounding PLC's but I would like to know which people think may be more suitable.

This is my first major engineering project and I keen to get all aspects of the design perfect.

Thanks in advance

Mech_n00b

Both vendors make a wide range of PLC models. One of them is almost certain to fill your needs. Your choice should be made based on which local reseller offers a level of support that you're comfortable with. You could also evaluate both programming software packages to decide which one seems to you to be more intuitive.

Incidentally, as far as I know, Fanuc does not offer a line of PLCs. The product line formerly sold under the GE/Fanuc (or Fanuc/GE) label is now solely under GE Intelligent Platforms (GEIP). The joint venture betwee GE and Fanuc expired a few years ago.

Hi Steve

The Fanuc range is a rebadged PLC and has actually changed its type in the past - stick with Mits = very easy to learn

Hello all

I am about to buy in a new piece of equipment for our factory. It is a pressure testing rig for the testing of toughened glass. The intention of the piece of equipment is to identify any flaws in the glass as toughened glass with defects will explode under the applied pressure.

The design is complete and now I have a choice of two pieces of PLC software to run it. My choices are Mitsubishi or Funac as these are already on site but are dealt with by external contractors.

I have a small amount of knowledge surrounding PLC's but I would like to know which people think may be more suitable.

This is my first major engineering project and I keen to get all aspects of the design perfect.

Thanks in advance

Mech_n00b
I agree with Steve's analysis.
Get quotes from your Integrators giving them these two options and see what comes back from them. But specify the GE-IP PAC or RXi platform product line to get the latest technology.

NO mate - I know it used to be Hitachi many years ago and Now?? no Idea