View32 time triggered outputs

nathan.slade

Hi all. Its been a while since i was last here. I hope some one can give me a hand I trying to display the time on a project and would like to also be able to turn on/off things like lights at a user input time.
eg. turn on lights at 6am and off at 8pm.
Im trying to lern this on my own so please be gental
Thank all

Nathan,

Are you using the RSView32 software? If so, there will be some programming changes needed in the PLC program that is being controlled by the RSView software. In other words, they work as partners. RSView can issue commands to the PLC program, which must have rungs to implement logic to carry out the received commands. RSView then can monitor tags in the PLC program to determine the status.

Building on what Lancie1 has posted: if indeed you are using RSVIEW32 then you could use and Event along with the System\Time tag to act on a PLC address. Example: Create a new event and in the Expression area put System\Time == "6:00am" and in the Action area put &SET your tag 1 and then another expression for "8:00pm" with Action &Set your tag 0. Give the Event a name and then don't forget to turn it on, usually by adding it to the startup macro or execute a command line: EventOn your event
Not sure why I can't put quotation marks in my post but I believe they need to be around the time if my rember correctly. not the &quot: Tom

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help. Sorry I haven't replied sooner.
Hear are some more detail on my system. I have a ml1200 with 4 analoge inputs and a net eni as plc. Rsview32 as display for trending, logging and user input. This is currently controlling my fish tank. I'm using 2 analogies as air and water temps. These are scaled and trended on a display. I have a another page that I can set min and Max temps for the water temp and this turns on and off the tank heater. This is all working at the moment. As my ml1200 doesn't have a rtc I thought I should be able to easily use view to tell the plc when to turn on and off the light and have a input on a page for this on and off times. Again thanks for all of your help

Lance1
I have already placed bits in front of my outputs ready for view to be able to control them. I understand this I'm just trying to get around the no rtc in my ml1200. I can recall another person using view to sync the plc at a preset time every night. I might go search for it again and see where that went.
Thanks

I understand this. I'm just trying to get around the no RTC in my ML1200.

You could use the RSView clock (that uses your computer's time) to control a RSLogix ladder logic "calender", so that both RSView and your PLC program are running on the same time. You could have your PLC program monitor one of the RSView System tags, such as "System\Minute". The System\Minute tag goes from 0 to 59 every hour. In your MicroLogix program, you could start a T4 TON 60-second timer, and have it reset to 0 with an interrupt routine each time that the RSView System\Minute tag advanced to a new number. (You could update every 1 second using the System\Second tag, but that might load up your comm link and slow down your RSView program). You can then use this synchronized 1-minute RSLogix timer to create PLC counters for Hours, Days, Weeks, Months, and Years as needed.

Another method is to use your MicroLogix 1200 CPU "Free-Running Clock" at memory Status Word S4, that can be used to control a PLC routine to create a logic calender to track Months, Days, Hours, Minutes, and Seconds, and also you can reset this free-running clock, if desired. The FRC counts by 10 milisecond increments. You could use one of the RSView System time tags to reset the S:4 word to 0 every 60 seconds. It might not be accurate to the split second, but should be close enough for controlling your fish tanks.

Last edited:
Sorry I've had this on the back burner. Been on there jobs. I was just going over what's been said and was just thinking can I writer the hour, min to the plc and use it that way? And if so how?