Priority problem

cornbread

Lifetime Supporting Member
Given I have a PV+ and compact logix controller, I need to program three agitators to start in a specific ordered determined by the operators inputs via the PV+. The operator will determine who goes first, second and third (kind of a priority). I was thinking of setting up a register for each agitator where the priority would be stored and the PLC program would act accordingly. My question is how to make sure there is only one priority one, one priority 2 and one priority 3? Once the operator picks a priority, it cannot be used elsewhere. Is there an easy way to accomplish this? o_O

I would set up just one register and allow the user to choose only one value. Possibly a drop down selector or multiple pushbuttons pushing different values to the same tag. There are only 6 possible combinations assuming that each agitator must receive a priority. See table below:
Agitator
Priorities
Register Value A B C
1 1 2 3
2 1 3 2
3 2 1 3
4 3 1 2
5 2 3 1
6 3 2 1

The user can only choose from one of the six options. Use EQU instructions in your PLC to set the priority values for each agitator. This guarantees that there will never be two units with the same priority level.

Last edited:
Just have some bool tags in the processor. One goes true when 'Priority 1' is assigned, one goes true when 'Priority 2' is assigned. While you don't need one for the third priority, you might want to include it anyway for consistency and in case of future expansion.

Link the 'Priority X' assigned tags to the HMI to disable the operators used to select them so you can't pick more than one.

I always did this with simpe arithmetic. 1 + 2 + 3 = 6. If the operator assigned 2 as lead and 1 as lag then 6 - 2 - 1 = 3 and unit 3 is the standby.