Logix 5000 download while running?

Also wondering- if i make a bunch of offline changes, i can still upload and go online correct? i need to make a bunch of added logic but need to go online for a day or two before i can take the processor down and download. i won't have a problem doing this, will I?

If you are editing the Offline file and then go Online and Upload from the CPU, any Save command will overwrite any prior changes within the Offline application file.( the software will create a .BAK -backup-file, however, usually the number of backups is limited and you might eventually lose the original.
The Offline file resides within the PC running the RSL5K.
The Online file resides within the CPU controller.
Do yourself a favor and use two different files; when done developing, compile the two Offline and Online applications and then download the final result to the controller.

Hi

I taught I read that ver 19 was going to allow downloading of selected routine files without stopping the CPU
I have not done this myself but I am sure someone here will know more than me
If I was to put money on it I would say ken would know.

Donnchadh

Also wondering- if i make a bunch of offline changes, i can still upload and go online correct? i need to make a bunch of added logic but need to go online for a day or two before i can take the processor down and download. i won't have a problem doing this, will I?

You can open up two instances of Logix5000. One online, the other offline with your changes.
Then cut and paste from offline to online.

In general, a *download* replaces the whole tag database and all routines. Rockwell Automation does not now, and has never, used an architecture that supports "partial downloads".

RSLogix 5000 v17 and higher support a useful feature called "Online Routine Import". This was introduced along with the XML-based routine import and export file format (*.L5X).

I did this extensively with RSLogix 5000 v17, with systems that were running a paper machine. Not something that you want to "hiccup" !

You still create Tasks and Programs manually, but when you Import a Routine, the software can import new Tags, UDT definitions, AOI definitions, and the actual logic routine itself. There is a large and thorough import review/results window that shows you which items are new and which might conflict with existing definitions.

It's not magic; if you are using an I/O platform that can't be added online, this doesn't change that.

If you are importing a "new version" if an existing Routine, it's best to import it with a new Routine Name, then arrange a single edit that will switch between a JSR to the old Routine and a JSR to the new Routine.

I've done a lot of online editing with RS Logix 5000, but can i do offline changes and then download to a running processor? I can't recall?

While others have told you that this method doesn't work there IS another method to make offline changes and bring them into you PLC code as an ONLINE EDIT, then accept the pending edits and boom lots and lots of OFFLINE changes are now in your project.

You can EXPORT rungs, routines, and programs from your offline program which contains your edits as .L5X files. You can then IMPORT the .L5X files into your program. You can OVERWRITE subroutines, programs, if you are adding rungs all of the rungs are simply added to the subroutine. You import these as PENDING online edits. Once you are comfortable with them you can accept all those imported offline edits and away you go.

This method works very well, however you MUST ensure you've tested the code prior, especially if this code is replacing in process logic that is actually RUNNING!!!

So, using the method I posted, you can save yourself a lot of time.

EDIT - I got excited but Ken beat me....#FAIL

While others have told you that this method doesn't work there IS another method to make offline changes and bring them into you PLC code as an ONLINE EDIT, then accept the pending edits and boom lots and lots of OFFLINE changes are now in your project.

You can EXPORT rungs, routines, and programs from your offline program which contains your edits as .L5X files. You can then IMPORT the .L5X files into your program. You can OVERWRITE subroutines, programs, if you are adding rungs all of the rungs are simply added to the subroutine. You import these as PENDING online edits. Once you are comfortable with them you can accept all those imported offline edits and away you go.

This method works very well, however you MUST ensure you've tested the code prior, especially if this code is replacing in process logic that is actually RUNNING!!!

So, using the method I posted, you can save yourself a lot of time.

EDIT - I got excited but Ken beat me....#FAIL

Brakes ON ! Time is NOT the major factor involved here...

Please execute ALL edits to a running program WITH CAUTION.

Be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the new code you introduce will not affect the SAFETY of personnel or equipment in any way.

In many cases you will need to do a proper risk assessment.

Wholesale changes to a program, as described, often requires that the plant be returned to "commissioning" status, and all safety precautions should be taken.

Think long and hard about the implications of what you might embark on, based on the info you got here !!

My 2c

Brakes ON ! Time is NOT the major factor involved here...

Please execute ALL edits to a running program WITH CAUTION.

Be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the new code you introduce will not affect the SAFETY of personnel or equipment in any way.

In many cases you will need to do a proper risk assessment.

Wholesale changes to a program, as described, often requires that the plant be returned to "commissioning" status, and all safety precautions should be taken.

Think long and hard about the implications of what you might embark on, based on the info you got here !!

My 2c

Formal risk assessments, version control, program validation COMPLETELY depend on the industry, process, system (small skid, OEM system, entire plant), company procedures....blah blah blah.

Your point is taken, and I apologize if I skimped on the obvious. However TIME is ALWAYS of the essence (political correctness in play I am wrong, but in reality I am right). I value my time so I'm not working 16+ hours a day on a start-up, the plant values their time so they can run, and your company values time as the quicker the install/commissioning the cheaper more profitable you can be. Not denying any safety/equipment related risks and precautions you need to make, however proper "risk assessments" are not universal, and GAMP methods aren't across the board.

And the end of the day, YOU the person programming are responsible for your actions.

There are plenty of opportunities to use the methods on importing offline changes to save time. Assuming the offline changes have been simulated on a test rig and de-bugged prior the risk is low. Now, making offline changes, not testing or de-bugging and importing...well that's just poor practice all around.

At the end of the day, importing versus copy and paste? Importing as mentioned prior will create all the new tags you need, very valuable if you use alias tags or program tags. Again saving time from doing that online. Copy and paste, the OP probably would just copy the offline edits into the online edits...same risk.

Adding 30 rungs of IO mapping logic to a running system for new IO via importing the rung .L5X file poses minimal risk. Overwriting a subroutine/program on a system that is RUNNING said code is huge risk.

Note, there are PLC platforms that allow you do download your offline program changes into the controller while it is running (My experience is with GE Fanuc).

Thanks for all the replies. Most of what i want to do is all alarming code but i didn't want to sit there online at the site to add it all. i'd rather right it at home and load it when i get there. Some of it is in Function Blocks though and i don't believe this can be done online anyways? I need to add some High High alarms and new tags.