RSLogix 5000: Upload, edit, then download... any horror stories?

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm getting ready to make some changes to a legacy centrifuge machine with an L61 CPU and version 17 firmware. I need update one of the the PF700 modules in the I/0 from version 8.2 to 10.4 because it's not communicating. This is Logix 5000, version 17, so the actual parameter values are not saved in the file, but the list of all the parameters for that firmware version are available. I've never made this edit before, but from what I can tell, I have to go into the module settings, change the version from 8.2 to 10.4, then I believe I have to download the file back to the CPU. This is where the fear sets in. I've never heard of the download going bad with Allen Bradley Control Logix... but I'm also very isolated. This application can't be down for more than a couple of days. How would you feel about doing this on a machine you've not worked with before?

I'll attach the PLC file on a separate post, if you want to see it.

Module Definition.png

Here is the compressed file for the PLC.

While downloads are pretty straightforward, what you must be careful of is the state of the program when last saved compared to the state of the program when you actually perform the download.

Consider this. A machine program was saved last week. It was running recipe XYZ and was in the middle of the widget dispensing when it was saved. You make the changes to this most recent save and you travel to site to download your changes.

Well this week they are running recipe ABC and it was in the middle of accumulating widgets when the machine was stopped, now you are about to download last weeks program when it was running XYZ, with your changes in it.

Best practice. Stop the machine. Put it in program mode so that nobody can start it. Save the program. Make your offline changes, download the program. That way you guarantee that the data file value match and you don't put the machine in a different state than it was when you stopped it.

While downloads are pretty straightforward, what you must be careful of is the state of the program when last saved compared to the state of the program when you actually perform the download.

Consider this. A machine program was saved last week. It was running recipe XYZ and was in the middle of the widget dispensing when it was saved. You make the changes to this most recent save and you travel to site to download your changes.

Well this week they are running recipe ABC and it was in the middle of accumulating widgets when the machine was stopped, now you are about to download last weeks program when it was running XYZ, with your changes in it.

Best practice. Stop the machine. Put it in program mode so that nobody can start it. Save the program. Make your offline changes, download the program. That way you guarantee that the data file value match and you don't put the machine in a different state than it was when you stopped it.

+1

What communication is the Powerflex running?

If it is ethernet you are OK

Devicenet or Controlnet you will need to run RSNetworx and save ... I think.

I've never had to upgrade the firmware of a drive without upgrading other stuff at the same time .. so I'm not positive. ;)

I checked the file - all 4 Powerflex going from 8.2 to 10.4 ... I see nothing that makes me nervous about the upgrade. I might try upgrading one and verifying that communications work as desired .. if that's possible. Likely not.

Last edited:
So, you are on Ethernet for the drives, not as bad as CN or DN

Check to see if version 10.4 of the drive is compatible with V17 of ControlLogix and also with the revision of the Ethernet card you are communicating with - don't want to have to upgrade more than you need to....

I would do as Dmroeder says and when you have the file saved open it up offline whilst staying connected to the network and open the dialog box for the offending PowerFlex the do a match drive and as long as you have all the correct parameters setup in the Powerflex you can then download the "new" program to the ControlLogix and you should be good to go.

Alan