Trying to use RSLogix 5000 tag upload/download tool

mjggjm12

I am trying to use the upload download tool but when I hit the browse tags button on step 5 I get "Error 380 Invalid Property Value". It does not appear to be connecting. I can go online with the controller so I know my connection is good. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also this controller is on Rev 13 is it possible the tag upload/download tool won't work with a version this old?

Last edited:
mjggjm12 said:
...I can go online with the controller so I know my connection is good....

The Tag Upload Download Tool does not use a driver in RSLinx to communicate with the controller. It uses an RSLinx OPC topic linked to the controller. You need to use a licenced version of RSLinx which supports DDE/OPC topics i.e. not RSLinx Lite. A Single Node or OEM licenced edition of RSLinx allows for a single OPC topic to a single controller. If you need multiple DDE/OPC topics to multiple controllers, then you use Professional or Gateway edition.

If you are already using a licenced edition of RSLinx, then set up an OPC topic to the controller. If you have already attempted to set up an OPC topic to the controller, and you are getting this error, then the chances are that it is not linked to the controller properly.

If you are not using a licenced edition of RSLinx, and do not intend to, then you can alternatively use the Data Preserve Download Tool.

I posted a link to info on this in another thread just yesterday...

Logix5000 TAG overwriting

Regards,
George

If you are not using

Thank you Geospark. I do have a licensed version of RSLinx, however, I read the thread you linked to and it looks like the data preserve tool would be a better way to go for what I am doing this time. I am adding a subroutine and about 40 tags to an existing program, so an online edit is out of the question. I do not want to change any of the analog scaling when I download so I think the data preserve tool looks like the best option.

I was successful with the Data Preserve tool, but it had to be loaded into the tools box first with the "ADD tools" buttons in tools. Initially, i thought i would have to download it, but apparently it was downloaded, installed and then not opted in by Studio 5000 v21/23

Just to be clear, the tag preserve will put only the tag values back in after download? It will not delete the new tags I have created, will it?

mjggjm12 said:
Just to be clear, the tag preserve will put only the tag values back in after download? It will not delete the new tags I have created, will it?

The Data Preserve Download Tool saves the tag structure and values from the controller in a text file *.CSV in the current RSLogix5000 Data Preserve Download Tool directory.

It then downloads the open ACD file to the controller.

It then writes saved tag values from the *.CSV text file into the corresponding tags in the controller. It does not interfere with any other tags it does not know about in the controller. (y)

Regards,
George

I was able to use the tag upload/download tool succesfully but I can not get the tag data preserve tool to work. I get a cannot connect to controller fault. I would rather use the data preserve tool over the tag upload/download if I could. Any suggestions?

mjggjm12 said:
...I would rather use the data preserve tool over the tag upload/download if I could...

That's fine, but there's just one other thing I forgot to make clear for anyone reading...

Besides which comms they use and RSLinx licensing requirements, the main difference between the Tag Upload Download Tool and the Data Preserve Download Tool is that you can use the former while the controller is in Run Mode (OPC), but the latter must take the controller out of Run Mode before uploading or downloading the tag values. If doing so is not an issue, work away with the Data Preserve Download Tool.

mjggjm12 said:
...I can not get the tag data preserve tool to work. I get a cannot connect to controller fault...

I know you can go online to the controller, etc., but is the correct comms path to the controller saved in the offline project? If it's not, you will get the error:

"Invalid communications path or controller not responding."

Saving a project while online does not save the current comms path to the offline project. You have to set it in the offline project and then save it.

To check if you have any path set, or the correct path set, go to Communications > Select Recent Path...

See if the Set Project Path button is grayed out. If so, you have a path currently saved to the offline project, but is it correct for the path you are currently using?

If it's not grayed out, then you currently have no path saved to the offline project. The recent path you have been using should be in the list. Highlight it and the Set Project Path button should be active. Press it and then save the offline project.

If for some strange reason there is no path in the recent list, then use Communications > Who Active to browse to the controller and set the path, saving again of course.

You probably know where all that Comms path stuff is. The detail is more for anyone else who might stumble on this thread...

I hope that is all that is wrong.

Regards,
George

Thank you a million times Geospark, the project path was the problem. I succesfully used the data preserve download tool.