Energy meters to SQL database

glideratio

Hi all,
Please help with Energy Monitoring solution. We started an Energy Monitoring project. We plan to buy Energy meters that can log its data to an SQL database and use MS Excel for reporting.

- Has anyone done anything similar?
- Is there relaible Energy Meters that would connect straight to an SQL database?
- Any catches?

Thank you
Regadrs

I've heard of a number of Ignition users logging data from energy meters to SQL databases by connecting to the devices directly over Modbus. In many cases they host the datalogging application on the same machine running the SQL server.

I worked for Schneider (so there's my disclaimer), and the ION product line will do what you want.

Who's meters are you using? and what level of monitoring are you after? There's a big difference (in cost) if you are after determining power quality as opposed to just chasing watts.

Hi,

I have done one project where a data from fourteen different stations spread throughout a city was accessed.

Just ensure that you have modbus connectivity. I suppose modbus connectivity is typical in energy monitoring devices.

You don't need to spend on scada or plc or any modbus to opc gatway.

Also go through, Standalone Acquisition using Modbus (S.A.M.) here,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3O_frnhMZg

If you can provide the system architecture then I will be able to guide you at nut bolt level.

Only catch in this kind of project is the balance between post commissioning changes and initial investment.

Energy distribution architecture is not going to change much. So, there is no point in spending a major portion of budget on hardware and software just to make energy meter log data to sql.

Regards

Last edited: