CAN bus cable best practice

kvogel

Hello all,

I am installing my first system using remote I/O via CAN open I/O modules and would like to get a better handle on the cableing & power supply cable requirements. This system is a large gantry for a plating line

The carriage on the gantry has a remote I/O unit (WAGO) on it and the cables are routed through a cable carrier. My particular question is what cable should I use? We generally use IGUS cable for our flex cable and they have few cables which are listed for use with CAN bus but I'm wondering gow others handlwe the mix of fieldbus and supply power.

The I/O points are four laser prox sensors and four LED signal lamps. There will also be one additional signal wire for a discrete limit switch as I'm not sure if I can program limits using the CAbus in this controller (having the reps look into this) but for now planning on it remaining seperate.

Can I use a 4 conductor (16 guage) + 1 twisted pair shielded cable that is rated for Profibus and use two of the 16 guage to supply 24vdc to power the fieldbus and I/O and the remaining rair for a remaining discrete switch

Or... Should I keep the fieldbus cable seperate using CAN-BUS cable (2 twisted pair) and supply the I/O power and the remaining discrete I/O point in a seperate flex cable?

Is there any good reference for this type of field wiring?

Thanks in advance

Ken

Hello all,

I am installing my first system using remote I/O via CAN open I/O modules and would like to get a better handle on the cableing & power supply cable requirements. This system is a large gantry for a plating line

The carriage on the gantry has a remote I/O unit (WAGO) on it and the cables are routed through a cable carrier. My particular question is what cable should I use? We generally use IGUS cable for our flex cable and they have few cables which are listed for use with CAN bus but I'm wondering gow others handlwe the mix of fieldbus and supply power.

The I/O points are four laser prox sensors and four LED signal lamps. There will also be one additional signal wire for a discrete limit switch as I'm not sure if I can program limits using the CAbus in this controller (having the reps look into this) but for now planning on it remaining seperate.

Can I use a 4 conductor (16 guage) + 1 twisted pair shielded cable that is rated for Profibus and use two of the 16 guage to supply 24vdc to power the fieldbus and I/O and the remaining rair for a remaining discrete switch

Or... Should I keep the fieldbus cable seperate using CAN-BUS cable (2 twisted pair) and supply the I/O power and the remaining discrete I/O point in a seperate flex cable?

Is there any good reference for this type of field wiring?

Thanks in advance

Ken
I have used cable from Horner electric for CAN bus.
They have 2 types, thick and thin.
Depending on the lengths and such you need to choose which one will work best for your setup.
You combine power and data, same cable.
They address should be www.heapg.com

You can buy online or through a local distributor.
You may be able to cross to Belden or alpha as well and buy through other distributors.
I believe they ship Belden, not sure what the numbers are though.
Hope this helps.