changing out a control logix processor

joeparrish

I am trying to find a little info on changing out a control logix processor

We are going to change a l55 to a l71

I know the program has 16.21 on it and I want to update it

what are the process to changing this out and updating the flash to this

As far as i know, you need to flash your new processor up to whatever new version you are going to. To change your program, you just need change the controller and revision # in RSLogix5000. Also, generally your ENBT or EN2T cards have a older firmware than the new controller firmware supports, so you will probably need to flash them too. Just check for yellow triangles in RSLogix5000 when you go online, it'll let you know what you need to flash.

The few systems i have updated have gone without a hitch, but maybe some of the more experienced users can give you better advice of the possible pitfalls.

1) Save your program in version 16.21
2) To change the version of your saved program, that´s done thru RSlogix5K, just change processor and version and the software do it all. It takes some minutes, then download it to the new processor.
3) When downloading you have to upgrade your processor to the version you want to use, updated it thru rslinx. New firmware must be downloaded from ab web page or can be found on software CDs.

Just a couple things to think about......
  • Have you decided to what version you want to upgrade? Make sure you have that version installed on each computer that will be accessing the controller. Computers with only v16 will not be able to connect. Your computer can have support for multiple versions but only if those versions were installed.
  • If you have any logic for monitoring the state of the battery, that won't be applicable anymore since the L7x does not use a battery.
  • Make sure you have an understanding of the difference between RAM and how the Energy Storage Module along with the "non-volatile storage" works. Then, how does the SecureDigital card fit in. This is very different from the older L5x or L6x series.
  • There is no longer a serial port. Do you have any programs or interfaces that are currently making use of the serial port on the L5x controller? If so, plan for how to establish communications through another method since the serial port was removed in favor of a USB port.
OG

A few other things to think about... There is no firmware for a L71 version 16. The L71 only supports version 20 and higher. It is highly recommended that you check Rockwell's firmware compatibility chart to verify that any communication module had firmware that is compatible with the controller firmware you are planning to use. You can find the new firmware for all effected modules on AB's website.

Hi joe

Do you have any motion in ver 16 as there are some differences in some of the motion commands. If you have drives you will also have to check that the firmware will connect to ver 20 and just watch out as there are some know problems with ver 20 and motion.
Just also note that ver 20 takes up about 2Gig on your hard drive

Donnchadh

No. Not RSLogix 5000 itself.

But....if you install all of the tools, online manuals, all the getting started videos, RSLinx, FactoryTalk Services Platform then it can add up to over 2GB. But adding v19 to that is only another 248MB (on my machine).

OG